N+1=R300

IdahoBrett

I have added another Cannondale. I was just going to go look at it. The color and vintage initiated my ”need” to look.

It turned out to be in good enough condition for me and a deal was made.

It’s a 1995 R300, 58cm, in a nice looking dark metallic green.

First impression was that it was small, almost tiny. At least compared to my CAAD3 and CAAD4, 60 cm bikes with bigger tires and bigger handle bars.
IMG_0615.jpeg
IMG_0616.jpeg
IMG_0617.jpeg
IMG_0618.jpeg
IMG_0611.jpeg

Last edited:

IdahoBrett

I’m not an expert in judging used bikes. But my first look at the rear cogs told my brain there wasn’t many miles pedaled. It was one of my triggers that told me that I must have this bike.
IMG_0620.jpeg
IMG_0621.jpeg
Downtube shifters take me back in time to my youth. Ahh, the nostalgia….

IdahoBrett

... even the plastic disc is still behind the cassette^^ overall the condition of the frame looks nice. what was the price?
It is nice. The smaller tires just don’t look right in my eyes though. It cost a single Ben Franklin.

IdahoBrett

Uhhh….nevermind about the tire size. The rear had 20 p.s.i. and the front had less than that. Combined with the color of the sidewall, maybe it was an optical illusion. Or not. I earn a living eyeball inspecting stuff that flies 6 miles in the sky. I catch these things (Ripley’s believe it or not).

Yes. Tires when inflated to appropriate p.s.i. look normal now.

Little things like stickers on the rims that are in great shape and tire sidewall info being legible on a 29 year old bike (Oct.94 build), are things that make me like the bike more.

IMG_0623.jpeg
IMG_0622.jpeg
IMG_0614.jpeg

kjop

The smaller tires just don’t look right in my eyes though.
pro cyclists even used 19mm tires back in the days... xD
unbelievable uncomfortable from todays perspective.

used a while ago 23mm in the front and 28mm back... that was interesting. at the moment there are 28mm on both wheels on the caad5 and it is a feelable difference in comfort, even to 25mm :) 23mm i wouldn't ride anymore... and unfortunately larger than 28 also doesn't fit into the caad5.

JohnnyD

I earn a living eyeball inspecting stuff that flies 6 miles in the sky. I catch these things (Ripley’s believe it or not).
I know your skills at eyeballing things FAR too well. Great find and deal! Although I do have to point out that you now own the same number of bikes I do. So my question for you is this. When are you picking up bike number 7?

IdahoBrett

Thanks @JohnnyD (nice pun! F.A.R.). It is currently in the stand for a clean-n-lube. Then I’ll see what the RD needs. It was ratcheting toward the chain ring while pedaling about a half inch or so.

As far as number 7 goes….I don’t want to spoil it. But I did buy a frame. Good thing I can hide behind a keyboard here. I’m a bit embarrassed. It cost too much and will cost even more to round up the parts. I’ve got until the end of the week to come up with “why” for my supportive wife. It’ll show up at our front door in a big box. So far it’s been little boxes of bike parts. Those are easy enough to explain. But a big box…..

Last edited:

JohnnyD

Thanks @JohnnyD (nice pun! F.A.R.). It is currently in the stand for a clean-n-lube. Then I’ll see what the RD needs. It was ratcheting toward the chain ring while pedaling about a half inch or so.

As far as number 7 goes….I don’t want to spoil it. But I did buy a frame. Good thing I can hide behind a keyboard here. I’m a bit embarrassed. It cost too much and will cost even more to round up the parts. I’ve got until the end of the week to come up with “why” for my supportive wife. It’ll show up at our front door in a big box. So far it’s been little boxes of bike parts. Those are easy enough to explain. But a big box…..
KUDOs on the seeing the intended pun and again on this bike. It looks to be a really nice deal. I will keep positive thoughts on making the next one lucky #7 for you as well.
I Had to put a hold on buying any more bikes until next year to make sure I have funds available for a major repair I might need to do on another vehicle, but tiny boxes are always arriving. My upcoming week is being spent doing annual preventative maintenance on my little collection. FYI full suspension bikes are not fun, the two Jekyll's alone have about 30 bearings/bushings between them that all have to be removed, inspected and reinstalled or replaced, not to mention brake and drive train maintanance which I spent all day yesterday doing. Today's fun is going to be installing internal cable/brake hose on the Habit after I finish lubing up the pivot bearings all over the darn thing. Then it's on to the M700 which I already know I have to replace and rebuild the headset bearings on. EC37 headsets are getting SUPER hard to find now so I bought 4 spares at $25 a piece out of Poland to make sure I have a few extra on hand in the coming years.

IdahoBrett

@JohnnyD I let the cat out of the bag. I showed my wife pics of what the frame looks like now and what it looked like in the catalog photo. She’s a very understanding enabler of my addictions…err..supportive of my hobbies. I always include her in my Cannondale collecting; the R300 is for her.

Last edited:

JohnnyD

@JohnnyD I let the cat out of the bag. I showed my wife pics of what the frame looks like now and what it looked like in the catalog photo. She’s a very understanding enabler of my addictions…err..supportive of my hobbies. I always include her in my Cannondale collecting; the R300 is for her.
It's way easier to keep her in the loop and therefore on your side, than to keep secrets!
Yes, I look at my Prophet and wonder if I’m up to the task of servicing the lefty. Mechanical ability? Probably. But tooling? No. I’m thinking of sending it off to Mendon cycles this winter.
I want to attempt rebuilding one myself too since I have little worries of my mechanical abilities. However, I don't have the tools to make sure it's done right and quickly. So my Lefty will be off to him next year, assuming he has the parts for it in stock. With older Lefties that is always a concern. The one I have hopes/plan to buy for my other Jekyll was serviced by him before they offered it for sale.