My first Cannondale and maybe one of the oldest

rickpaulos

This is the first I bought. New in 1983. I was working at a bike shop that carried Cannondale products prior to Cannondale making bicycles. I had to wait a couple of months as they only made 23" frames at first. Cannondale had an shop employee discount that was too good to pass up. 50% of wholesale! Serial number is AA01345. Maroon ST500 touring bike. The first thing I did was try to make it in to a racing bike. I put on the new Shimano aero 600AX components. Edco sealed bb. The cranks take 1" threaded pedals so that's whats till on it. I sold the wheels I had on it. I had built up AX hubs with gold Mavic tubular rims. I haven't ridden sewups since 1997 or so. So no wheels. 600AX aero brakes & levers. Shimano aero stem with the hidden bolts. Aero seat post. It didn't race well (I'm sure it wasn't me). it didn't like cornering or climbing or just going fast. After a few spring races, I moved to another bike. I don't think I've ridden this bike since 1984. I plan on parting it out. The AX stuff just doesn't belong on it. I think the only original parts are the headset, shift levers and seat post bolt.

Attachments

• IMG_4937.JPG
    IMG_4937.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 156
  • 1983.st500.serial.number.jpg
    1983.st500.serial.number.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 125