Mavic Ksyrium wheels

IdahoBrett

I’ve been thinking about getting a set. I believe I’ve read the SL was above the Elite in the hierarchy.

Are there different generations? Were there bad years?

Looking at pictures it looks like a special nipple wrench would be needed.

I don’t know the weight of my current wheels so I don’t know if it’s worth getting an old, used set of wheels.

I don’t know a lot about wheels in general. Willing to learn…

letsbike

My preference is to have a wheel hand built from components that you research and pick out individually rather than buying a pre-built wheel that was built by a machine. Wheels can be a great performance booster for your bike, but they are super pricey.
I had a set built up for my three month long tour last year knowing that my original set had 25,000 miles on them and had broken spokes on many occasions; and I wasn't looking to have trouble in rural Saskatchewan. The new set was built up by a specialty shop in Portland, Oregon called Sugar Wheel Works. You can learn a lot about bike wheels from their website, and many other places on the web.
Many people also build there own wheels. There are books on the subject and what better way of understanding than doing it yourself. For me, the cost of a good truing stand ($400 to $600) has always kept me away from taking that step. Maybe in the future however?
That last photo is of my bike's wheel rolling through the Wyoming countryside. Velocity Cliffhanger rim, Shimano Deore hubs, bladed Sapin CX- Sprint spokes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240507-084801_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240507-084801_Google.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20240507-085055_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240507-085055_Chrome.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20240507-085348_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240507-085348_Gallery.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 15

IdahoBrett

The cost of a truing stand has also kept me from buying one @letsbike

Having a set of wheels built would probably be a better idea now that you mention it. Paying $200 for a set of used, cosmetically good looking, but unknown mileage/use is a gamble. A gamble on a fast descent could be deadly should a wheel fail catastrophically.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
They were popular but there were maintenance issues with them. I think that the spokes were proprietary. I'm not sure they are generally available now if you break a spoke. Might be fine if you land a good pair and you don't have any problems.

What are the wheels that you're thinking about replacing and what do you want to achieve with the replacements?

I know a wheel builder in Boulder who can give good advice.

kjop

had a mavic ksyrium equipe s wheelset on the CAAD3 and i wasn't satisfied. after just 1 summer 2 spokes were broken and after changing them, the wheels were getting more and more unstable. if you look for something more stiff and durable, try some fulcrum wheelset.

as blacklightning mentioned, the spokes – if available – are also pretty expensive. paid for just 4 spokes in a package 20€... coz they weren't available apart.

Last edited:

IdahoBrett

What are the wheels that you're thinking about replacing and what do you want to achieve with the replacements?
My 01 R400 has its original Cannondale Performance wheelset. I expect to ramp up my mileage over the next 12 months. The crazy idea that I currently have is to train for a stage race for next summer. It’s the training bike.

My 04 R500 has its original CXP23 wheelset. The bike is mint. Doubling down on my crazy idea is the R500 is the race bike.

Play along with my fantasy for a few more minutes/posts please :)

Do I get a set of new wheels that are durable for training? Or do I get lighter wheels for racing that can be used to train on and be used on the R500? Yes, 8 speed cassette on the R400 vs. 9 on the R500. Or are the CXP23 wheels sufficient to race on?

I imagine some readers out there in the WWW world are rolling their eyes while reading this. But hey, its my fantasy. It’s my goal. My brain is wired that way.

edit: @kjop the Fulcrum Racing 4 wheels look like a possible set. Thanks!

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
You could race on the CXPs but most folks you race against will have higher end wheels. Train on the heavy wheels, race on the light ones. I've had several pairs of Fulcrums but never any of the high end ones. I've not had a problem with them. Be sure to get a Shimano freehub body as some out there will have Campagnolo.