L.L. Bean Bike, potentially cannondale?

_Michael

This thing is definitely old and it's incredibly light. I bought it about a year ago and have slowly been trying to upgrade the parts on it. There isn't much indication to it being a cannondale other than the cannondale logo on the plastic weatherguard (IMG_1012, look closely) and the trademark seamless welds of the frame. Here are some photos from when I first got it. Could anyone help me identify it?

Attachments

• IMG_1006.JPG
    IMG_1006.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 1,149
  • IMG_1007.JPG
    IMG_1007.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 945
  • IMG_1008.JPG
    IMG_1008.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 751
  • IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 735
  • IMG_1010.JPG
    IMG_1010.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 686
  • IMG_1012.JPG
    IMG_1012.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 677
  • IMG_1013.JPG
    IMG_1013.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 658
  • IMG_1014.JPG
    IMG_1014.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 615
  • IMG_1015.JPG
    IMG_1015.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 638
  • IMG_1016.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 598

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Guessing it's an ST built especially for Bean to sell. Fork doesn't look original to me, they usually had Tange forks with cast crowns. Check the serial number, either on bottom bracket shell or underside of chain stay. Plastic cable guides and caliper brakes put it in the 1987-1989 range.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Got a reply to my inquiry at L.L. Bean. The bikes were only sold at their retail store in Freeport Maine and were never listed in the catalogs. They couldn't give me any more information. Serial number will tell year and size.

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely a Cannondale. fork is not original. Back in the day, all frames were the same frame. The better parts on the frame made it a higher number model.

it is in good shape.

LarryG99

Michael

I just purchased the identical LL Bean frame, same blue color, complete with the original Cannondale blue fork. It's a threaded 1-inch, 300 mm. I'm not doing a true restoration and intend to replace the fork with carbon to save considerable weight (2.2 lbs vs 3/4 lb) on what I hope will become a solid road bike.

You have any interest in the original fork?

Larry G.

Bill Wright

Michael

I just purchased the identical LL Bean frame, same blue color, complete with the original Cannondale blue fork. It's a threaded 1-inch, 300 mm. I'm not doing a true restoration and intend to replace the fork with carbon to save considerable weight (2.2 lbs vs 3/4 lb) on what I hope will become a solid road bike.

You have any interest in the original fork?

Larry G.

Bill Wright

Hi Michael,
I am interested in the original fork if it’s in good condition. Can you tell me what the original stem and handlebar is. I just purchased one and someone in the past replaced both with Raleigh branded parts. They are functional but I like to keep my vintage bikes as close to oem as possible. thanks!