In search of 1990 Cannondale SH600 2+2

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I have been looking for an SH as well, thinking that they would make a great all-surface road bike. Will be sure to let you know if I see a 1990 600. What size do you want?

GE Mason

Thank you. They seem to be a bit rare. I had given mine to my son and someone tried to steal it while locked to a bike rack. They ruined the frame. Should have kept it.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
What about a touring frame? Geometry wouldn't be much different. Depending on what the drivetrain is, it might only require a bar/stem/shifter change to convert.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Have a look at the 1990 catalog. Geometry for the 25" SH and ST frames is exactly the same. The only difference is that the SH fork has a bit less rake which results in more trail. I doubt you would notice the difference. Do you need cantilever brakes? Some of the older touring bikes used mid reach calipers. They will still take a 35 mm tire, maybe a bit more. I have a mid 80s ST500 that I could probably sell. Think it's a 25", will check.

GE Mason

Have a look at the 1990 catalog. Geometry for the 25" SH and ST frames is exactly the same. The only difference is that the SH fork has a bit less rake which results in more trail. I doubt you would notice the difference. Do you need cantilever brakes? Some of the older touring bikes used mid reach calipers. They will still take a 35 mm tire, maybe a bit more. I have a mid 80s ST500 that I could probably sell. Think it's a 25", will check.

I looked at a catalog that showed an ST model. I down relish the thought of shift levers on the down tube. A straight handlebar and mid reach calipers should be fine. I’m not familiar with that name but I’m guessing that it’s the brake levers on the straight handlebar?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
You can put cable stops on the downtube bosses and run a flat bar with thumbshifters or Rapidfire. The older frames are 126 mm rear hub spacing, so you will be limited to 7 speed unless you want to spread the frame to 130. That's generally not recommended but I rode thousands of miles on an '87 Crit frame spread to 130. Still have the frame but have put the original 6 speed back on it.

By "name", did you mean cantilever? That's the type of brakes that SH frames and later touring frames used. The older ST frames used calipers. Mine is a 25".

jcervini

Hi, I have a 1990 SH600 2+2 serial number is 02101907720 looking to sell, was a great bike. Cleaning basement prior to moving. email direct at hattertown@aol.com if interested, would be nice to get it a great home. Joe

Attachments

• IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0443.JPG
    IMG_0443.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0445.JPG
    IMG_0445.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 568

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Hi, I have a 1990 SH600 2+2 serial number is 02101907720 looking to sell, was a great bike. Cleaning basement prior to moving. email direct at hattertown@aol.com if interested, would be nice to get it a great home. Joe

I've been looking for an SH for a while. That's a 21" frame, I'd be very interested if it were larger. Good luck finding a new owner for it. For anyone interested: It's made for 700c wheels and came with 35 mm tires originally. Original spec was Shimano LX/DX 7 speed, which generally speaking will run forever.