Hub cones

echoplex

In disassembling my front hub to regrease (probably should've done as soon as I bought the bike, but they seemed to be turning well) I see some pitting on the cones (not to mention one side was short a ball bearing....). The cups look OK. Of course direct replacements for the cones are no longer available and I'm having a heck of a time figuring out cross compatibility with something that is available. Hubs are HB-M290, I think the number on the cones is CN-R036. Anyone have and advice (at this point I'd really prefer not to get new wheels/hubs... though I would buy a hub to get a new axle/cones if needed)? Thx

echoplex

Hmm, posted a few days ago saying 'thanks' (& wondering why that listing didn't show up when I was searching...), but for some reason it didn't post.... Thought 'great!' and ordered... Alas, the hub that arrived is not 'new old stock', instead it is used, filthy and best of all, the bearings seem completely frozen.. ugh.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I wouldn't have thought anyone would have a listing for 20+ used hubs of the same model. Sounds like someone sent you the wrong part. Perhaps the seller had a used one listed and mixed the orders up. What are you hearing from the seller?

echoplex

Actually I think you may be right- the listing says no skewer, but there is a (what appears to be a brand new) skewer with the hub... Still waiting to hear back.

echoplex

Seller insists the hub is NOS, and after muscling the cones off the axle they actually look very clean (underneath the solidified grease), so maybe the hub was loose in a box with other stuff and got banged around. Anyway, cones were what I was after so all is good.

echoplex

And to give the seller a plug- when I said maybe the order was mixed up because there was a skewer with it and the listing said 'no skewer', they said they just threw the skewer in. It's a cheapie Oval, but noticeably lighter than the stock steel one, so what the heck, I'm going to use it (even tho' it's black and most everything else on the bike is silver.....)!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I'm just happy that you got the cones that you needed. I searched a bunch of Shimano front hub parts lists, and there aren't many that have the same cone OD. The 600EX cones are the same 10.4 mm OD, but have a different part number.

echoplex

Yeah, having to rebuild the wheel with a new hub or replace the wheel would've been a drag at the moment! Cleaned up, fresh ball bearings & grease and everything is rolling nicely. Next task is to service the freehub (luckily when I cleaned, re-bearinged and regreased the rear axle those cones and cubs looked good.....).