Help Identifying Raven frame model + year?

Eric Gregory

Sorry to ask for help! I just picked up a 1st gen Raven in my favorite color combo - this was a dream bike of mine growing up + working at a bike shop.

I can't find any model info (1000, 2000 etc.) on the frame itself, and I haven't been able to figure out the model / year via the vintage catalogs. It's been customized a lot - wheels + cockpit specifically - but it has XT shifters, brakes, and front derailleur, XTR rear and a Fatty SL fork. Based on serial number info, does the J mean it's a 1998? The Fatty SL doesn't have disc brake tabs either, which seems to suggest 1998. Is this color specific to a model? Any insight would be much appreciated - thank you! I'm pumped to tune it up and start riding.

Serial / other info on seat tube area:
JCR00133
B1-0302
8DMNRNLG

PXL_20220220_212119921.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20220220_211346764.PORTRAIT.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Photos are too small for me to tell much. Does it have disc mounts? 1998 model frames and forks didn't have them, 1999 did. Looks to be Team Volvo finish, lacking the decals. There's a photo of Tinker riding one (with the sponsor decals) on page 13 of the 1999 catalog. That bike has V brakes, and doesn't appear to have the disc tabs on the fork. I'm not sure exactly when the Volvo bikes changed from red to blue but I'm guessing that 1998 was the first year for blue. 1998 Raven 2000 was mostly XT with XTR rear derailleur, so that's what I would call your bike.

Eric Gregory

Photos are too small for me to tell much. Does it have disc mounts? 1998 model frames and forks didn't have them, 1999 did. Looks to be Team Volvo finish, lacking the decals. There's a photo of Tinker riding one (with the sponsor decals) on page 13 of the 1999 catalog. That bike has V brakes, and doesn't appear to have the disc tabs on the fork. I'm not sure exactly when the Volvo bikes changed from red to blue but I'm guessing that 1998 was the first year for blue. 1998 Raven 2000 was mostly XT with XTR rear derailleur, so that's what I would call your bike.

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it! Added more detailed photos to an album here. (Mildly) interestingly - the frame does have disc brake tabs - there's some plastic bracket screwed in there now, not sure what that is... I was thinking it might be a warranty replacement frame or something - that might make sense if it's a 1999 frame with a 1998 fork.

JohnnyD

The rear swing arms of the Super V and Ravens in 1998 all had IS mount disc tabs. I am guessing the plastic bracket is for something like a bike trailer QR hitch to attach too.

Eric Gregory

The rear swing arms of the Super V and Ravens in 1998 all had IS mount disc tabs. I am guessing the plastic bracket is for something like a bike trailer QR hitch to attach too.

Got it, thanks! Trailer hitch bracket totally makes sense - I recall mine always smashing together when they swung while the car was in motion haha.

black lightning 1987

Staff member

I was guessing not as there wasn't a disc brake 1998 model and the forks didn't have mounts. They could have added discs after the catalog was printed.

Eric Gregory

98 and 99 are the v1 raven, 2k is v2. You deff have a V1 Raven (my fav raven). I believe you have a 99 Raven 700 made in 98:

https://vintagecannondale.com/year/1999/1999V2.pdf

99 was a screwy year for decals and paint. Some bikes have slight different decals etc.
Ah yeah that looks more like it in the catalog - thanks! It does look like it has the build from the 1998 2000 too, as black lightning 1987 mentioned - Tarantula and XT/XTR parts. Could be a frankenbuild, who knows.