Hello from ohio

Age 53. Been tinkering with vintage bike for last 15 years. Bought first Cannondale last year. 92 m700. Cannondale bikes have always been out of my wheelhouse bc of price. After researching the brand, and riding that bike, the big tubes seemed on point. Then went on a search for an early mtb and found a 86 sm700 on the bay. After few short test and fit rides,this bike feels great. Like an oversized bmx. Anyways, lots of good info on this site. Cheers, Kevin
IMG_5950.jpeg
IMG_6092.jpeg
IMG_6093.jpeg
IMG_5963.jpeg

kjop

welcome! this black plastic disc on the back wheel... is it a 'thing' to keep the bikes original? were the cannondales delivered orginal with those discs? saw this on some roadbikes here also. all the bikes i owned, it was the first item to remove, if they had it :)

black lightning 1987

Staff member
welcome! this black plastic disc on the back wheel... is it a 'thing' to keep the bikes original? were the cannondales delivered orginal with those discs? saw this on some roadbikes here also. all the bikes i owned, it was the first item to remove, if they had it :)
Considered not cool but I've purchased a number of rear wheels with spoke damage because some cool guy who didn't know how to shift/and/or/set limit screws on rear derailleur ran the chain into the spokes.

JohnnyD

I hadn't noticed the dork disk on the rear wheel.. now thank to this post I can't unsee it every time I look the bike!
I can't recall if my M700 came with one or not. If so, I yanked that sucker off shortly afterwards that's for sure. I can't imagine how HUGE one would be on a modern 29" wheel bike with a 52 tooth 12 speed cassette would be.

letsbike

Welcome to the site. I am a former Ohioian myself. I was born in Berea & lived on Cleveland's west side until I retired. The local Hostel council, based in the Cuyahoga national park, used to run a yearly ride through your area called BEEP (Bicycle Excursion to Erie Pennsylvania). It was beautiful country for low traffic biking. I am the former owner of the 1987 SM600 that you may of seen on the Gallery page, witch looks to be a lot like your 86' SM700. I hope that you post a picture of your other bike also. I have only belonged to this group since last September & I've found it to be a nice group of people, from all over the world, who share a deep interest in all things Cannondale.

Attachments

• 20240308_094750.jpg
    20240308_094750.jpg
    878.3 KB · Views: 13

garthpro

Age 53. Been tinkering with vintage bike for last 15 years. Bought first Cannondale last year. 92 m700. Cannondale bikes have always been out of my wheelhouse bc of price. After researching the brand, and riding that bike, the big tubes seemed on point. Then went on a search for an early mtb and found a 86 sm700 on the bay. After few short test and fit rides,this bike feels great. Like an oversized bmx. Anyways, lots of good info on this site. Cheers, Kevin View attachment 11462View attachment 11463View attachment 11464View attachment 11465
Hey I'm 53 and in Ohio. ! where r u?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I lived in NW suburbs of Columbus in the mid 1980s. Only got to Cleveland for one weekend a year for the CART races. I really like southern OH for the hills and woods. Thinking that the winters would be much milder as well.

Welcome to the site. I am a former Ohioian myself. I was born in Berea & lived on Cleveland's west side until I retired. The local Hostel council, based in the Cuyahoga national park, used to run a yearly ride through your area called BEEP (Bicycle Excursion to Erie Pennsylvania). It was beautiful country for low traffic biking. I am the former owner of the 1987 SM600 that you may of seen on the Gallery page, witch looks to be a lot like your 86' SM700. I hope that you post a picture of your other bike also. I have only belonged to this group since last September & I've found it to be a nice group of people, from all over the world, who share a deep interest in all things Cannondale.
I did see your old bike, the SM600. I’m not familiar with the hostel council. I’ll have to look up info on that. I had no idea how popular Cannondale is around the world.

letsbike

I did see your old bike, the SM600. I’m not familiar with the hostel council. I’ll have to look up info on that. I had no idea how popular Cannondale is around the world.
Yes, unfortunately that hostel was short lived due to trouble in bringing in enough business to make good on their expenses. The hostel closed around 2010, and then reopened in 2011 as a National Park concession. It was fun while it lasted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240313-180629_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240313-180629_Gallery.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 14

Jon K.

Age 53. Been tinkering with vintage bike for last 15 years. Bought first Cannondale last year. 92 m700. Cannondale bikes have always been out of my wheelhouse bc of price. After researching the brand, and riding that bike, the big tubes seemed on point. Then went on a search for an early mtb and found a 86 sm700 on the bay. After few short test and fit rides,this bike feels great. Like an oversized bmx. Anyways, lots of good info on this site. Cheers, Kevin View attachment 11462View attachment 11463View attachment 11464View attachment 11465
Hi! Welcome to the site!

Ex-Ohioan here. Born in Newark, bounced around the state until high school, then moved elsewhere when Dad was job-hunting.