Greetings and Salutations

rambler

Hello community, thanks for all the great discussions and information. Congratulations on all the Cannondales. I’m always inspired and glad to finally join the forum.
My current mountain bike is a 1994 M800 Viper Red Beast of the East.
I have ridden it consistently since I purchased it new. Through 1998 I upgraded the bike to a full Shimano XTR group, Rock Shox Judy fork, Azonic bars, Thompson post, XTR V Brakes, WTB saddles and tires currently.
It is still a comfortable, dynamic and active ride. Cheers

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Welcome. Nice Beast. I have a '93 that I purchased in basically new condition in the mid 90s. Have never needed to upgrade any of the original LX parts. It doesn't get ridden as much as it used to but it's still a great bike.
M800 loaded 12 - 22 - 2013.jpg

rambler

Thanks! Looking good in the snow there, awesome to see cargo on an M800. Only parts I never touched on mine were the stem and headset. Both going strong but I’d like to finally upgrade. Can anyone please share the dimensions of a 94 Beast of the East? I’ve forgotten over the sands of time. What size for a Chris King headset and a new stem? Very appreciated, Cheers.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Believe that picture was taken after I got home with a Campagnolo road wheelset in a box strapped on top, 15 miles with about 3" of snow on the roads. I also pulled a one wheel trailer loaded with 100 lbs. of groceries at times, 12 miles home as low as 20 degrees. Here's the geometry chart from the 1993 catalog. 1994 M800 had the same geometry. Note that the M800 is different from the other 3.0 frames. I would guess that your frame has a 1 1/4" headset, same as 1993. Better check the quill outside diameter though, should be 1.125" if headset is 1.25". If quill diameter is 1" you have a 1 1/8" headset. I might have some stem options, not sure about NOS though. 1 1/4 stems are kind of scarce these days.
1993 MTB frame geometry.jpg

rambler

Really awesome information. Thank you very much. Will do some digging. Not too concerned with NOS, always wanted to throw a Kore on there, or a Salsa. We have the same stem, could you please share the angles/degrees of yours?
Also, grocery runs in snow, well that’s just fantastic

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I don't know as I've seen a Salsa in 1 1/4" but I'd bet Kore made them, Control Tech too for sure. I found a 1 1/4" Syncros Cattle Prod in an old ExcelSports catalog. Other known makers from old catalogs are: Answer, Grove, Ringle, Rocket Science, and Zoom. I have a hunch that ITM may have made one as well. I can probably get pretty close on the angle by putting the digital angle finder on it and subtracting the head tube angle. Just have to remember to do it. PM me if I forget. It's been quite a while since I had my stem out, but my guess is they were made by Alico. I know that Alico made stems for a bunch of Cannondale road models in the mid 90s, here's one on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alico-Titanium-Look-CroMo-1-quill-
stem-130mm-26mm-handlebar-1-fork/202995341573?hash=item2f43771905:g:pDEAAOSwdK9ewvs0

Here's a 1 1/4" Control Tech, though not in great shape. They were made in silver as well. Cannondale was putting them on bikes as early as 1993. My 1995 M900 came with (a threadless) one, but it's not listed in the catalog. One thing about them is they didn't have much range of extension, so if you have the present stem set fairly high you may need more angle on a Control Tech stem to get the bar at the same height. They came in 0, 10, and 25 degree rise.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Control-Te...670806?hash=item46a186b596:g:YjkAAOSwOFZdyKTO

rambler

Thanks again, the links were full of information and help. 1 1/4 Inch size is tough to find, but they are out there. Need a slightly shorter and steeper stem. The hunt is on.