Greeting from Wisconsin

Houseofnine

Hello - Let me preface this by saying I don’t consider myself a serious rider or mechanic. However, I’ve been somewhat obsessed with Cannondales ever since my first MTB back in ‘99 (F700). Since that one “got away”, I’ve been on the lookout for something similar. These days my riding is more of the commuter/utility variety. A few years back, I picked up this ‘86/87 SM600 and was thinking of adding a few accessories - fenders, racks, etc. Any suggestions are welcome, just not interested in a restoration project. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

B48EF495-1D4B-4896-A597-C62D365D0856.jpeg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Looks like it's set up pretty well for what you want to do and in great condition. Most any brand of rack (Blackburn, etc.) should be adaptable to fit. Pretty sure you have tapped holes at the rear brake cable stop for the upper mount. I have some new Cannondale racks here, might be coming to Madison some time this summer. I've never put fenders on a MTB but there should be something out there that will work.

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome! It looks great. This is 1987. I have 2 of these. :)

Racks are doable, there are mounts on the back. As for fenders, might be tricky with the roller cam brakes. If you have the rack it will work as a fender. I commuted to work on a bike for 5 years. Glad to see this '87 is getting love. :)