fresh find: 1996 Cannondale m200le (ladies)

rickpaulos

Nice clean simple.

the Shimano Altus brakes have failed like they all do. The plastic body that holds the springs crack and fall off and that lets the springs disengage potentially leaving the bike without brakes and even worse, the brakes can swivel all the way down into the spokes and lock up the wheel. Many years ago, Shimano did have replacements made but those ran out. This could be a small home project for a 3d printer person to make replacements and sell them on ebay. Just need to find an intact set to model them after. More durable brakes will be installed. Probably v-brakes.

The bike has the wrong size seat post. Some steel, a bit undersized and bent. That will get replaced. Anyone know the right size for this model?

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
What is cool about this bike, is Cannondale made just the frame. And probably in the USA. You can do anything to it and it will be a great bike. This bike is a 96/97ish. 27.2 post which is very common.

Elysia99

New member here--that's great to know about the brakes. I'll definitely give them a better look to see what's up, since they're not the most effective brakes I've ever encountered, LOL. I picked up a fairly clean, lightly used M200le last October, loving it so far, but it could use a little tweaking. Such a light, responsive feel!