Fit out my 1993 M 700

TJA

Dear Vintage Cannondale Community, I have a 1993 M700 bike which I am deeply attached to. I would love to refit my bike with all new components but am not technically great with components. I am seeking expert recommendations on what will fit my bike and is good stuff. I want to change the gear changing system front and back, cranks and front gears, the rear caskets and gears. Probably other stuff too. I am sorry for my ignorance but if anyone has some recommendation on what will work for me or where I could look I would appreciate the input. Kind regards, Tim in the Cayman Islands.

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Do you want to keep your current rear hub and/or shifters? My guess is that you are going to be limited to a 7 speed cassette if the hub is the original Deore LX.

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome,

1st is the rear rim. What can fit in the rear, 130mm or 135mm. If you have a 135, which it probably is. You can find any 26 rim brake rims. From there you can choose what speed you would like the rear. 9spd etc... Then you can build up the rest how you feel. Some people re-build with time period parts, others go full modern.

The build style is up to you, we are here to help and guide you through it. Pictures would also help. :)

TJA

Do you want to keep your current rear hub and/or shifters? My guess is that you are going to be limited to a 7 speed cassette if the hub is the original Deore LX.
Yes it the original Deore LX system and i happy to change out the rear hub assuming i can get it off. Happy to change the shifters too. thanks so much.

TJA

Welcome,

1st is the rear rim. What can fit in the rear, 130mm or 135mm. If you have a 135, which it probably is. You can find any 26 rim brake rims. From there you can choose what speed you would like the rear. 9spd etc... Then you can build up the rest how you feel. Some people re-build with time period parts, others go full modern.

The build style is up to you, we are here to help and guide you through it. Pictures would also help. :)
Thanks so much for the reply. I will certainly get a load of pictures posted. The bike has the original everything which i believe was the Shimano Deore LX. Excuse my ignorance but does the 130/135 mm refer to the rim width? They are Maviks i believe which came with the bike - will check when i get home to the bike today. Thanks. Tim

TJA

Welcome,

Also one quick question which i think i know the answer too: Is there any possibility of fitting hydraulic disc brakes? Probably not, but i really like the idea. THanks. TIm

black lightning 1987

Staff member
The 135 mm is the width of the rear hub, from the outside of one axle lock nut to the outside of the other. This corresponds to the width of the frame between the rear dropouts. I would think that your hub and frame are 135 mm, but they could be 130. It will be easier to find 135 mm 26" wheels for 8 speed than 130s.

If you are willing to spend the money there are almost unlimited options to the way you could build it. One thing you won't be able to do is use disc brakes, although you could run a disc on the front if you changed the fork. Magura did make hydraulic rim brakes though.

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Also one quick question which i think i know the answer too: Is there any possibility of fitting hydraulic disc brakes? Probably not, but i really like the idea. THanks. TIm

I feel if you get a nice set of V-brakes you will be good. I agree that Magura hydro rim brakes are on option. But remember, this is a vintage bike. With good parts on the build, it will be a fun bike.

JohnnyD

I can attest to Brian's assessment of M700's being a fun bike to ride. I've had my '92 since it was new..I will never part with it.
That said, here's how mine has been "upgraded" over the years.
I've replaced the Force 40 cantilever brakes and levers with new Deore T610 V-brakes. I feel that I get better braking out of the V-brakes over the cantilever brakes. I've also replaced the worn 13-30T 7 speed cassette with a SRAM 12-32T 7 speed and a KMC X8 chain. I still use the orginal Deore LX shifters and derailleurs as well.
I do have a Deore XT M760 crank on it temporarily, because I am polishing up the original ,replacing the chain rings
and bottom bracket. Another temporary item on the bike is the wheels. There is nothing wrong with the old ones, other than a good cleaning/re-greasing wont fix. Once I get off my behind and do those, then they too will be reinstalled.
One last thing I replaced was the handle bars. When I bought the bike I had the original one replaced with an ITM Scorpio bull horn style bar..
That's all that I've done to the bike in almost 30 years, besides tires,tubes and cables.

I have a long list of parts that I have researched that will fit your bike if you'd like it. The bottom line really comes down to how much you want to spend on it. In the end I decided to keep my M700 as close to original as possible and bought other Cannondale bike(s) to play with that I don't have the attachment too. Namely the 2004 Jekyll and now the 1994 Delta V 600.