Finding the Right Red

geecee

Greetings! I have a red 1998 Volvo Cannondale F700 and a 1993 M800 that have a few spots I want to touch up. I didn’t see many references to the red paint and was unable to find anything on the forums. They look to have the same color red. Has anyone had any success finding nail polish/model paint etc. that matches?

Nico

A couple of years ago I had a neighbor who was in car repairs.(body shop)
He had these color charts so we could match a frame (Kestrel) with a color on one of his charts.

He made for me a sample for a few Euro's and that was enough to repair the scratches.
You may need multiple of these charts to find the right match.

Ral-kleurenwaaier-k5-mat.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I don't. It's mostly trial and error dependent on what you can find locally. Another option is small bottles of Testor model car paint. I know I have a red that is close, will have to find it. I have a 1993 M800, not sure I have a Viper Red bike. Message me if I forget to check.

JohnnyD

Awesome! I’ll have to dig mine out of storage when my wife isn’t around so she doesn’t see how many bikes are in there
In your case, Your wife's ignorance of how many bikes you have is your bliss! Happy wife, happy life. Gotta love it.

JohnnyD

Amen, I have even found a decal set for the M800 of that year. So if I do bite the bullet, I can at least match all the decals except the model number. Pretty sure that they could even replicate that one with a decent high resolution picture of the ones on the bike still.

geecee

After doing some searching I found this at the local Hobby Lobby for under $3. Seems to be a very close match, especially because this isn’t a show bike…

Attachments

• IMG_2658.jpeg
    IMG_2658.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28

black lightning 1987

Staff member
After doing some searching I found this at the local Hobby Lobby for under $3. Seems to be a very close match, especially because this isn’t a show bike…
I have a Testors color that I thought looks close but it's a metallic. Interesting that all the metallic has settled to the bottom and for touch ups the metallic might not show up. I'll try to remember to post it.