different chain stay housing stops for vintage cannondales?

CAP57

I recently picked up a cheap doner frame and started parting out the missing pieces for my frame. The chain stay housing stops do not match up. My frame only has one hole while others seem to have 2 holes for the pop rivets. Any ideas on what part would go with my specific frame and the single hole design on the chain stay?
Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 5.18.31 PM.png

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I am wondering if you could drill out the rivet farther forward on the stay and use that as one attachment point for the stop. You would have to drill another hole but they would hopefully be far enough away from the existing hole to avoid stress cracking of the stay. Another option would be to drill a hole in the center of the stop and use one of the existing holes.

What is the diameter of the hole in the picture?

CAP57

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
the hole here is about 4mm? 1/8"? I should try and drill out the rivet on the doner frame. That looks to be the same size as the one you are talking about. They only need to be 2mm it looks like? What about using something like this on the seat stay? The tubes are pretty wide.

That is a clamp on shifter mount. I don't know the diameter or whether it was intended for stem mount or what. If stem mount it might be close to the right diameter.

4 mm is a fair bit bigger than 1/8", but some 1/8" rivets might expand enough to grab hold. 4 mm is about 5/32". There are 5/32" rivets available but they are not as easy to find as 1/8". I would drill the same size hole in a piece of sheet metal and experiment with what ever rivets you come up with. Avex rivets will very strong - much better than what you will likely find in a hardware store.

CAP57

That is a clamp on shifter mount. I don't know the diameter or whether it was intended for stem mount or what. If stem mount it might be close to the right diameter.

4 mm is a fair bit bigger than 1/8", but some 1/8" rivets might expand enough to grab hold. 4 mm is about 5/32". There are 5/32" rivets available but they are not as easy to find as 1/8". I would drill the same size hole in a piece of sheet metal and experiment with what ever rivets you come up with. Avex rivets will very strong - much better than what you will likely find in a hardware store.
Good to know! the local bike shop was suggest I just pickup some cheap amazon rivets but I would like to make this a one time job and use the best options available. I like your idea of removing the rivet that is placed further back. I believe that hole is a smaller judging from the one I just drilled out on the doner frame.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Try to get an idea about how much clearance you will need for the housing to clear the top of the rivet. You can file the head of the rivet slightly after installation if you just need a bit more clearance. If you need the rivet to be essentially flush with the stop material, you will want countersunk head rivets.