Delta v omega

Vintage_bike_basement

Just waiting on the M900 front and rear derailleurs to work on the build a little more. Purple period correct coda brakes or stay with the xtr 900’s?
CE8EB0E2-323B-4B33-A438-F000A6F30B0A.jpeg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
If I had the Coda brakes on hand I would probably use them. What better place are you going to find for them?

Is that a 1992 model? I was thinking 1991 for the Omega but I don't think there were Delta V frames that year.

Vintage_bike_basement

If I had the Coda brakes on hand I would probably use them. What better place are you going to find for them?

Is that a 1992 model? I was thinking 1991 for the Omega but I don't think there were Delta V frames that year.
I have the coda and xtr brakes on hand, so you say coda? And yes I believe it’s a 1992. Finding info on it is extremely difficult

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I might have one NOS Chinook rim but it might be something other than 26". Some other singles - I'll have to check. I do have NOS pairs of Campagnolo Contax rims from that era. Also Specialized, but you wouldn't want them on a Cannondale. Have a used pair of M900 hubs that would make a pretty nice pair of wheels with the Contax rims. Ritchey rims were the same as Sun I think. Cannondale started using Ritchey rims in 1993.

JohnnyD

. Cannondale started using Ritchey rims in 1993.
The front wheel on my M700 is original and is from 1992 and it's a Ritchey wheel..Sadly the rear was replaced after being damaged during shipping while in the Air Force. But hey I still have the Deore LX M550 front hub that runs buttery smooth 30+ years later! They definitely do not build them like they used too.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Was your M700 built late in the year? It could be that a Cannondale order to Sun just happened to coincide with a run of Ritchey rims being made. Certainly not unusual for Cannondale to change suppliers during a model year.

I did find a NOS 32 hole Chinook. Right next to it was a Matrix Single Track Pro which has very nearly the same profile but is just a bit darker in color. If you removed the decals from both I doubt many would notice the difference. The Matrix has double eyelets while the Sun has none. I'll try to remember to weigh them, just out of curiosity. In general I would think eyeleted rims are higher quality, but I have a lot of miles with the Ritcheys on my M800, often with extra weight on the rear rack. I don't recall ever touching them even for minor truing.

Vintage_bike_basement

Was your M700 built late in the year? It could be that a Cannondale order to Sun just happened to coincide with a run of Ritchey rims being made. Certainly not unusual for Cannondale to change suppliers during a model year.

I did find a NOS 32 hole Chinook. Right next to it was a Matrix Single Track Pro which has very nearly the same profile but is just a bit darker in color. If you removed the decals from both I doubt many would notice the difference. The Matrix has double eyelets while the Sun has none. I'll try to remember to weigh them, just out of curiosity. In general I would think eyeleted rims are higher quality, but I have a lot of miles with the Ritcheys on my M800, often with extra weight on the rear rack. I don't recall ever touching them even for minor truing.
I may be contacting you when I get to the wheels about the 900 hubs and the chinook rim. I have a pair of chinooks in another bike but they are laced to XT and I’m trying to keep this build perfect. I need to get my hands on XTR cables and housing from that era next to get the brakes and derailleurs run. I’m clueless on what crank it came with so I’ll stick with XTR. Every photo I find has a different crank.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I think the XTR crank is the logical choice. On 1992 and 1993 Cannondale MTBs, if the crank didn't match the group it was generally a Ritchey. I haven't owned either but suspect that the XTR is the nicer of the two. A SunTour XC Pro microdrive might offer a bit of weight savings (especially when combined with a smaller cassette) but I wouldn't use one on an XTR bike. Aftermarket cranks were coming (Kooka, Cook Bros., etc.) but I'm not sure what was available in 1992.

Vintage_bike_basement

I think the XTR crank is the logical choice. On 1992 and 1993 Cannondale MTBs, if the crank didn't match the group it was generally a Ritchey. I haven't owned either but suspect that the XTR is the nicer of the two. A SunTour XC Pro microdrive might offer a bit of weight savings (especially when combined with a smaller cassette) but I wouldn't use one on an XTR bike. Aftermarket cranks were coming (Kooka, Cook Bros., etc.) but I'm not sure what was available in 1992.
I believe they may have actually had a cool bros on it in purple but that’ll take a bit to find. I have both an XTR and ritchey on other bikes and you are dead on that the XTR is the better of the 2. Probably my choice until the cook bros pops up somewhere…..

JohnnyD

My M700 is from early in the year. Apr 1992 according to the serial number. I purchased it in June of that year in on base Germany while stationed there. I agree with you that it is not unusual for Cannondale to switch things up during a production run. With Cannondale you never really know sometimes. The 1992 catalog says that the M700's came with Ritchey wheels, however.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I shouldn't ever trust my memory. I was thinking 1993 was the first year for Ritchey rims. Cannondale actually used them as far back as 1990. It's interesting that the higher end bikes in 1992 came with Sun rims, while the mid range had Ritcheys. Seems like Ritcheys would have been more expensive, as they were made by Sun. I always thought that the Vantage Comp was the same rim as the Chinook except for the finish. Somewhere I have a Bike Pro catalog that might have specs for both, but I looked for it yesterday and couldn't find it.