Delta V 2000 Headshok headset bearings - help please!

Guy Redshaw

E043D39A-63FB-4C25-9F81-F08CCB4365B6.jpeg
Anyone know where I can get a lower headshok, headset bearing for my 1991 Delta V 2000 please? This bike has a 50mm outside diameter bearing in the top of the headset, which are common to find, but the one I need is the lower headset bearing which is 60mm outside diameter. Thanx!

black lightning 1987

Staff member

Guy Redshaw

E4510657-A92A-4D7E-A88A-1475F708C110.jpeg
Thanx for the quick response. What you’ve described is actually the top bearing and what I need is the bottom one. The picture I’ve attached has the bearing you’ve identified sitting in the bottom cup and you’ll see it’s too small. What I need is approximately 60mm. The bottom bearing shoulder on the headshok body is obviously bigger as well, which you can see in my first picture. Any ideas please?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Do you not have the old bearing? Should be a part number on it which you can take to bearing supplier. I suppose I can pull the fork off my 1992 and see if there's a number if you can't figure out the bearing from dimensions.

I'm guessing the OD is either 58.72 mm (2 5/16") or 60.32 mm (2 3/8"), probably the latter. Guessing the thickness is the same 7.14 mm (9/32") as the top, but could be 5/16" or 3/8". You will have to measure the ID but I'd guess it's either 47.63 mm (1 7/8") or 49.21 mm (1 15/16").

Guy Redshaw

Sadly I don’t have the old bearing. I’ve bought the bike in bits as it was a very unfinished project. The OD is about 57mm and the inside about 45mm. Mendon cyclesmith got back to me today (fast) and can’t help, so I’ve contacted a few other bearing place including the place Petergt4 recommended. I like a challenge. Thanks for the help and advice. Will update you on progress cos I won’t be the only person looking for oneo& these.

Guy Redshaw

That ebay one looks like it’s the one. I’ll get one and try it and report back. Many thanks. I really appreciate your help.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Total guess on my part, but I couldn't find any inch sized bearings anywhere with closer dimensions. Seems odd that Cannondale would have specified an inch sized bearing on top and a metric on bottom but I guess that options are limited in that size range. You should be able to find that bearing somewhere in Europe. Please do report back on what you find.

I have come to the conclusion that the later headset that I first suggested would likely fit the frame, but the lower bearing may not fit the fork. I've never had the fork out of my Delta V900 so don't know the dimensions. It would be nice to document the early Headshok fork dimensions.

petergt4

View attachment 3318 Thanx for the quick response. What you’ve described is actually the top bearing and what I need is the bottom one. The picture I’ve attached has the bearing you’ve identified sitting in the bottom cup and you’ll see it’s too small. What I need is approximately 60mm. The bottom bearing shoulder on the headshok body is obviously bigger as well, which you can see in my first picture. Any ideas please?

My apologies, I misread your post and didn't read the 60mm reference, nor did I see the difference in proportions to head cup size in your photo.

This "Type 1" Headshok fork went through variations during it's brief production run. The fork I have for reference I bought separately and I believe it was made during late '92/early '93 and would have been for the SuperV (curved fork legs painted black with silver splash and purple anodized head cups). Both bearings are the same size in inch. When you mentioned yours was a 1991, I assumed they were the same size! It was only after your post I remembered (vaguely), there was a switch, but can't remember if it was early in production, or late.

This is my love/hate relationship with Cannondale, I love their advanced technology, but they were constantly changing/upgrading their specifications and it's hard to keep track! In the near future, I'll post information and photos of the disassembly of my fork here on this forum, for future reference. It's been said these forks can't be serviced and I see what they mean. I'll figure out a way how to!

You have your required measurements to find the needed bearing; you have the ID of the machined recess in the head cup (for bearing OD), you have the OD of the shoulder of the steerer (for bearing ID) and you have the thickness by the depth of the recess in the head cup. With that, it should be able to be found.

petergt4

...I've never had the fork out of my Delta V900 so don't know the dimensions. It would be nice to document the early Headshok fork dimensions.

In my reply to Guy, the fork I have, I have completely disassembled it and will post info and photos at a later date. It's an incredible piece of engineering that is even more amazing considering what was available at that time. Even their later models of forks are a step down compared to this first generation one.

I can see why it's said that they can't be rebuilt/serviced, but I believe there is a way around it, if I make a custom piece to allow oil to be poured in without trapping air (which is why many forks have been killed when they're taken apart!).

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Can the fork be pulled out of the frame without disturbing the shock/spring assembly? The only Headshok that I've removed from the frame was on a 1995 Silk Road that had seized roller bearings. It came out without any problems.
SR500 Silk Road 900N.jpg

petergt4

Can the fork be pulled out of the frame without disturbing the shock/spring assembly? The only Headshok that I've removed from the frame was on a 1995 Silk Road that had seized roller bearings. It came out without any problems.View attachment 3320

I don't know the part number of the tool, but there's one that you place on top of the steerer tube assembly that clears the adjuster/Shraeder air valve and you smack it with a hammer, which drives out the whole assembly. Obviously, you remove the stem and, if the bike is old enough, loosen the two tiny allen head pinch screws on the headset cups.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I don't recall seeing pinch bolts on the cups of my 1992 Delta V. Not sure if mine was made early in the run or late. Looking at the 1993 catalog pic of the DV700 I can see what looks like screw heads on both cups. Will have to check mine.

Guy Redshaw

Success!
The bottom bearing arrived from Germany today and it took 5 minutes to get both bearings on and the front end bolted up. Attached are the photos for everyone else’s Benefit. Many thanks for all your help. The project moves on a step!
B3CA72A9-64D5-49A9-B728-FF252857144A.jpeg
7DD79294-D720-4117-8AC5-AC0E1E996CE5.jpeg
0F5D7760-E00B-4A54-B80A-B68B0C8854BA.jpeg
13A02374-C406-4696-89AC-17EF6BBF61DC.jpeg