CODA Force 40 Brake system

petergt4

While doing some searching for canti brake set-ups, I came across this interesting article critiquing the Force 40 brake system.

I only had one occasion where I locked the front wheel, but it was completely my fault. While traveling down a gravel path, I was going at a faster pace than what I had normally gone at before. Along this path was a short bridge over a creek, immediately after the bridge, was a gravel path T-intersection. Coming across that bridge too fast, I grabbed the front brake lever, not pulled it and the tire instantly bit the wood (it was dry). Naturally, over the bars I went. The gravel wasn't the most ideal surfaces to land on, but I survived with a scratched up helmet, scuffed up jersey and a severely damaged pride... Good thing no one was around to watch this crash unfold!

Otherwise, I thought the cam system really helped. I eventually upgraded the bike with V-Brakes, but felt it was barely an improvement, especially the CNC'd MRC "Batwing" V-Brake set I put on after that - now those were mushy!

http://www.johnforester.com/Articles/BicycleEng/codabrake.htm

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I think SunTour had a similar setup, can't remember what it was called. I think they worked well but were a bit touchy to get set up correctly. Some of the 1995 Cannondales still used the concept but the Force 40 name was dropped. Not sure if they were used after that, 1995 was about when V brakes became popular.

petergt4

I think SunTour had a similar setup, can't remember what it was called. I think they worked well but were a bit touchy to get set up correctly. Some of the 1995 Cannondales still used the concept but the Force 40 name was dropped. Not sure if they were used after that, 1995 was about when V brakes became popular.

If I'm thinking what you're thinking, it was based on the Pederson "Self-Energizing" system, that was patented and the rights sold to Suntour. Suntour only marketed it as a rear brake, because there was too much liability as a front set-up (too easy to lock up the front and endo). It was a clever design, that as the brake arms traveled inwards, they moved forwards as well, due to a helix carved into the canti sleeve. It allowed the brake pads to "dig" into the rim, much like leading shoe automotive brake drum set-ups. Yes, ultra-finicky to adjust. From what I've read/heard, that once dialed in, they were powerful and easy to operate.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I'm aware of the Pederson SE brakes but have never owned any. The 1992 catalog shows them on the XC Pro and Comp page. They were simply labeled XC SE and were meant to be used with either group. There was also a regular canti XC brake. No distinction is made for front/rear use. I'd always assumed that most folks bought a matching pair of either type, but perhaps the intention was that they were front/rear specific.

petergt4

I'm aware of the Pederson SE brakes but have never owned any. The 1992 catalog shows them on the XC Pro and Comp page. They were simply labeled XC SE and were meant to be used with either group. There was also a regular canti XC brake. No distinction is made for front/rear use. I'd always assumed that most folks bought a matching pair of either type, but perhaps the intention was that they were front/rear specific.

Well, I'll see how it goes as I just received some from a recent order I placed with SJS Cycles in England... At £4.99 a set, I figured at that low price, it'd be worth it to try (hard to find brand new canti brakes of any style at that price point!). They are labelled both on the canti arm and in the instruction sheet to be used as a rear brake only. Not too many reviews on their site, but everyone who commented spoke very highly of them (even one person using them as a front brake, despite the warning!).

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/0-suntour-selfenergising-se-cantilever-brakes-rear/

I too have seen the regular XC cantilevers which have a similar shape to the arms, but not such a bulky body at the pivot as it does not have the helix sleeve arrangement.

petergt4

Suntour SE cantilevers:

DDBB7D50-2141-48C2-99F1-3718E21781D4.jpeg 0A82BE24-B45D-47DA-B580-D1C92B6EAB6E.jpeg

petergt4

That's a great price. How much was the shipping?

I assume only what was pictured was included.

I can't say for sure, because I bought a lot of other parts with that order, so the shipping was based on the total amount (plus, the box was oversized as I bought a set of rims).

Yes, just the cantis in a plastic bag and the instruction sheet. No cross cable or yoke.