Cantilever posts

petergt4

Was quite surprised the other day when I removed the canti posts off of my frame and fork ('94 Killer V 900) that the mounting thread in the boss isn't metric like most bikes. After trying out various taps/dies, it seems that 5/16"-18 is the best. This was confirmed when I searched online afterwards.

Many years ago, I over-torqued a brake bolt and snapped one and had it replaced, but couldn't remember that it was an inch thread, instead of the typical metric.

I've found one source who carries them in cro-moly. I'm considering getting some as spares, just to have them for emergencies (although now, I don't armstrong bolts as I used to!).

Anyone ever attempt to convert their frames/forks from inch thread to metric (using Helicoils/Threadserts)?

Jon Possom

Hello, do you have a lead on the bosses still. Its nearly impossible for me to find a set and I cant finalize my build without them. Thank you

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I did run a die over an M8 thread to see what it looked like. First three threads were pretty much intact, fourth was cut down somewhat, and fifth was cut pretty much down the center. I will try to get some M8 bosses and see how they turn out. I can swap them to one of my frames if it works. Will also try to message Peter and see if he has any extras.