Cannondale Vintage F900 1997

arnieom

Have my bike back from repair after being hit from blindside by car. My physician is pretty adamant about my having a extension for handlebars so I may sit straight up while riding. Any suggestions or recommendations for a part that will do that please. Thank you for your concern. Arnold

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a photo pf your current setup? I think as we get older, riding up right is just fine. It also depends if this is a full MTB or more of a city bike. If you are doing a full decent. Flat bars are the best. But it depends on your ridding.

arnieom

Do you have a photo pf your current setup? I think as we get older, riding up right is just fine. It also depends if this is a full MTB or more of a city bike. If you are doing a full decent. Flat bars are the best. But it depends on your ridding.
Brian: A city bike.

Attachments

• 2F706810-5A63-4033-8756-10B8D2035538.jpeg
    2F706810-5A63-4033-8756-10B8D2035538.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 70

arnieom

Brian: It's a city bike. Thank you for your concern. Let me know if you need better photo's Grateful Arnie

Attachments

• F900 Bike Handle Bars 2.jpg
    F900 Bike Handle Bars 2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 74
  • Bike Handle Bars 4.jpg
    Bike Handle Bars 4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

I think it would be a good idea to convert to a full city bike. The one issue you will have is the stem. This is Cannondale specific. You might find a shorter, high rise on ebay, or possible at a cannondale dealer. The next thing would be riser bars. You will need all new cable/cable housing. Possibly different shifters if the twist will not work for you. If this is a full city bike, you can go with high risers to be the most upright. Hope that helps. :)

rickpaulos

For the short term, mountain bike bar ends can be installed on mountain bike bar ends. There are a variety of shapes from straight to curved. Most are the same size as handlebars so they can be 'stacked' to get you more upright. The possible positions are nearly endless. The main down side is relocating brake levers.

Riser bars are made in 1 inch, 2 inch, 3 inch, 4 inch, 6 inch heights. At some point you will need to get longer cables.

Extreme rise would be BMX bars. 10 to 16 inches of height. Note that some bmx bars have 7/8" clamp areas, others are a more normal 1".

As stated above, the Cannondale stem is not easily replaced.

Early Scott mtb bars came in some pretty unique shapes.

scott.mtb.bars.jpg
mountain.bike.bar.ends.stacked.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Swept back bars like Rick posted in the 2nd photo will get your hands farther back which will result in you riding in a more upright position. I would guess that there is a swept back bar out there that your shifters will mount on.