SOLD Cannondale unknown model parts for sale.

Item sold.

rickpaulos

The frame is trashed. Both chain stays are split open from water freezing inside. The frame will get recycled. Any parts of interest to anyone? Make an offer and cover shipping.

home made camo paint job has obscured the serial number and model name. Any guesses on year and model? I'll sand the stays off to try to read the serial number tomorrow. Looks like it might have been fireplug yellow.

Funky brakes. I think they fit u-brake stud location, Wont work on standard canti mount locations which are just below the rim.
Suntour thumb shifters
fork.

Cannondale.mtb.camo (1).JPG
Cannondale.mtb.camo (3).JPG
Cannondale.mtb.camo (4).JPG
Cannondale.mtb.camo (5).JPG
Cannondale.mtb.camo (6).JPG
Cannondale.mtb.camo (7).JPG
Cannondale.mtb.camo (9).JPG
Cannondale.mtb.camo (10).JPG
Cannondale.mtb.camo (13).JPG

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I didn't remember it but all the 1987 MTBs except the SM400 came with SunTour roller cam brakes. What are the hubs and rims? I might be interested in them and the crank. I'd need to check the frames on hand but I might be interested in the fork and brakes. I assume the fork is 1".

rickpaulos

Hubs are Specialized bolt on. The rear sounds kinda rumbly. Rims are Araya RM17 black. Light wheels overall.
Suntour freewheel.

I'll be going to the quad cities some time this week so I can drop off the parts at Wright Cycles as before.

Rick

rickpaulos

Bike fully dismantled and parts ready to go.

Some more observations.

cracked stays. My wife asked why the water didn't go back out the way it came in. I tried to show her the vent holes in the stays (there were none!), and the openings into the bottom bracket shell (there were none!). Hum, I think Cannondale violated a few frame building rules here. Vent holes are the norm in welded or brazed bike frames to allow expanding hot air out and to let cooling air back in without blowing out or sucking in molten metal during welding/brazing. So no idea how the water got in to the stays to freeze up. I've seen some builders will use bondo to close up the holes prior to paint to keep water out. There was plenty of grease on the seat post to keep water from filling the seat tube. That would normally occur with frame with no opening.

cracked.stays (2).JPG

cracked.stays (3).JPG

cracked.stays (1).JPG

No holes from bb to chainstays, downtube, or seat tube.
P8211428.JPG

Seat post cracked at the top. SR Laprade. Old school standard "good" post. The top is cast aluminum and pressed in to the post. Corrosion builds up were the 2 parts meet and the expanding corrosion puts so much pressure on the seat post, it splits.
SR.Laprade.seat.post.cracked (3).JPG

Home made pump peg attachment? On the back of the head tube.
pump.peg (1).JPG

black lightning 1987

Staff member
The road frames in that era had holes in the chainstays that were plugged with a pop rivet before painting, not sure about the MTBs. I'm guessing those were the vent holes for gas to escape during welding but they wouldn't have been water tight with a pop rivet. My guess is that this frame was submerged in water at some point but never left in the various positions that would be required for all the water to drain out.

rickpaulos

I went out in the dark with a flashlight to look and I found those tiny pop rivets in the chain stays (painted over by the camo) and holes in the seat tube where the seat stays meet up. So it was vented. Still no valid serial number.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I don't own a MTB that old but I checked two 1987 road bikes. They both have the serial number on the underside of the non drive side chain stay.

rickpaulos

Bike dismantled. Frame and other broken or worn out parts sent to recycle.

remaining parts in photo.

I'll be going to the Chief Blackhawk Vintage Motorcycle Swap meet 8/31/2023 and I can bring these parts along.

Rick

Cannondale.camo.DD.parts.JPG