Cannondale saddle-bags

ChrisW

I've got these for a few Euros yesterday and I'd liked to know a year when these were sold new.
Any info appreaciated!

bags_03.jpg
bags_02.jpg

bags_01.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Tough one. I think most of the 80s bags had round reflectors. The triangular logo was used at least through 1994. By 1998 they had the C logo as on the head tubes of frames. Guessing yours are mid to late 1990s.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I did find some bags in the 1989 catalog that have the rectangular logo like yours, so perhaps they are older than I thought. They weren't offered in black in 1989 though. I can't see the round reflector on them.

ChrisW

Might be offered in Europe in different colors in 1989. Considering the age they look almost brand new. When my 1991 SH 600 is back from the workshop I'll post a pic with bags.

Last edited:

ChrisW

Current state of my '91 SH600. Love the looks of it!
Drop bars will follow and probably a new Shimano gear too. Will take a little time though.

Attachments

• IMG_20180715_094758.jpg
    IMG_20180715_094758.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 193

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Wow, that looks to be in great shape! About my size as well. Brian has reproduced the top tube cable guides if you are looking to replace the missing ones.

Who do like in the Grand Prix? Pulling for Vettel, the Haas cars, and Ricciardo here.

ChrisW

It is in a good shape I would say. Cable guides are complete but two of them are loose. Maybe I get new ones, but will try to fix it first.
Temporarily the bike is in the workshop for a full inspection (brake pads are rock hard, bearings need grease etc.) Got the bike from the son of the original owner two weeks ago

black lightning 1987

Staff member
The plastic pins that expand the part that fits inside the top tube may have vibrated out. You might try a substitute of some suitable plastic, welding rod, perhaps even a round wooden toothpick.

petergt4

Current state of my '91 SH600. Love the looks of it!
Drop bars will follow and probably a new Shimano gear too. Will take a little time though.

Classic. I really love the look of the Cannondale name on the top tube, instead of the usual place on the downtube on these early bikes.

petergt4

The plastic pins that expand the part that fits inside the top tube may have vibrated out. You might try a substitute of some suitable plastic, welding rod, perhaps even a round wooden toothpick.

What are these cable guides made from? I assumed they were machined aluminum.

ChrisW

Saddle bags will follow soon. It freshly came out of the workshop today

Attachments

• IMG_20180724_173221.jpg
    IMG_20180724_173221.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 164