Caad6 resto

Hi I just got this bike and it’s missing the crank arm and seatpost , any help would be great

• Where can I get one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Should I change the whole crank

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Hi
I just got this bike and it’s a bit tatty on the paint (bubbles under paint ) also crank arm is missing and seat post and seat also the front wheel is replaced , is it worth restoring and where do I get the bits
Thanks in advance
John
Ps any info on the bike would really help as I have older bikes and this is not what I know

Attachments

• C6F48161-412B-4075-BCC7-E514592AF83D.jpeg
    C6F48161-412B-4075-BCC7-E514592AF83D.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 134
  • 34F652ED-6AFD-4BFD-9598-891A22159E4E.jpeg
    34F652ED-6AFD-4BFD-9598-891A22159E4E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 125
  • 26E03639-EEE0-42F3-A5A5-A71BCC86361F.jpeg
    26E03639-EEE0-42F3-A5A5-A71BCC86361F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 129
  • 2E011BD9-87BD-4239-8B23-1ADD45C1EDDF.jpeg
    2E011BD9-87BD-4239-8B23-1ADD45C1EDDF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 138
  • 6FC79AAD-8F7E-4131-AC60-28D7BEE82DCF.jpeg
    6FC79AAD-8F7E-4131-AC60-28D7BEE82DCF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 137

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

That is a good find. I would swap out for another crank. Save the old one and if possible find the other arm. Which is almost impossible. Looks to be in good shape. Ditch the fenders, new bar tape, maybe new cable/housing and your ready to go..

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Great find. Record equipped CAAD6 is a holy grail level Cannondale. I think it's a 2001 R5000 SI. The CAAD6 frames were only made for two years, 2001-2002. The catalog shows an AL armed crank, but it wasn't unusual for Cannondale to make parts substitutions after the catalogs were printed. I don't recall ever seeing that crank before - in the catalogs even the top level 2002-3 bikes have AL crank arms. Is the rear wheel a Nuetron or a Nucleon? Catalog shows Nucleon as standard equipment.

Have a look at the bottom bracket shell stamps for possible team member ID.

Thanks to you both for the reply’s ,really helpful I took a pic of the bottom bracket , also is there a way of keeping original paint and having the crusty areas micro blown in , also has a brass chain

Attachments

• 4EC8BA75-4E86-4A70-BDD2-83F07CAD2985.jpeg
    4EC8BA75-4E86-4A70-BDD2-83F07CAD2985.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 117

black lightning 1987

Staff member
It will take a lot of work but it is possible to sand the corroded areas and repaint. Results will be highly dependent on how closely you can match the paint color, which Cannondale called Viper Red.

As I recall, the team members names were engraved in the area where your frame size (56) is located.

Crank is very interesting in that it doesn't appear in the US catalogs as far as I can tell, yet is clearly a Cannondale spec part due to the "SI" labeling. I haven't checked yet for a 2001 Europe catalog but Euro bikes may have been supplied as yours is. Since the crank was made by FSA, my guess is that an FSA arm like this SL-K would work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FSA-SL-K-L...303650?hash=item3676f99b22:g:6pYAAOSwjBNfgSGo

Chain isn't brass. It's a KMC, made of steel but with a gold colored coating of some sort. Could be titanium nitride, but I'm guessing that it's something not nearly as hard.

It will take a lot of work but it is possible to sand the corroded areas and repaint. Results will be highly dependent on how closely you can match the paint color, which Cannondale called Viper Red.

As I recall, the team members names were engraved in the area where your frame size (56) is located.

Crank is very interesting in that it doesn't appear in the US catalogs as far as I can tell, yet is clearly a Cannondale spec part due to the "SI" labeling. I haven't checked yet for a 2001 Europe catalog but Euro bikes may have been supplied as yours is. Since the crank was made by FSA, my guess is that an FSA arm like this SL-K would work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FSA-SL-K-L...303650?hash=item3676f99b22:g:6pYAAOSwjBNfgSGo

Chain isn't brass. It's a KMC, made of steel but with a gold colored coating of some sort. Could be titanium nitride, but I'm guessing that it's something not nearly as hard.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I certainly can't guarantee that the arm I posted will fit. I think it's overpriced but might be considered worth that much if it fits. No idea how many BB30 FSA cranks are out there with that attachment interface, but perhaps you can turn one up in the UK for less.

Thanks again think it’s worth the try
Here is a pic of the bottom bracket serial number

Attachments

• 22D10C5C-227A-4E14-BC80-1372A25B194D.jpeg
    22D10C5C-227A-4E14-BC80-1372A25B194D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I looked up the team members from 1999-2002, didn't see anyone that resembled RRIBE.

You might get some basic measurements of the spindle interface from the seller of the FSA arm and compare them to your spindle.

MEENI

Great bike!
Just try to get as close as possible withe the cranck, if you go for all black no decals noboby wil see the difference
Same with the rims, just remove the decals from the front end and use matching tyres
As for the frame i am with brian, keep it as orignal as possible. It takes a real good proffesional to touch up a bicycle frame. I restored a lot of bicycles in the last years and have seen a lot of restaurations, but the times this is done right are rare.
Look at the classic car scene: its ok that you can see that it is used (maybe proffesional in this case)
Havefun with it

MEENI

I see these bikes with decals in full collor (team partners) and all yellow with black
Does anybody know the difference (pro v.s. Team replica.?)

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I think the replicas were very close to what the team actually rode, at least in some years. If you look at the 2000 catalog, there's a picture of a bike being ridden in the 1999 Tour de France that is nearly an exact match for the 2000 replica. Sponsor logo placement looks to be very close as is the component spec. The main difference I see is that the TdF bike looks like it may have a threaded fork with a quill adapter and threadless Coda stem, while the 2000 replica has a threadless steerer fork.

Thanks for all the advice I got this crank for £60 and am now looking for the correct seat and front wheel but at least I can ride it , I’m going to leave paint as is and just give it a good clean , oh and change bar tape

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Might be tough to find a Nucleon right away. I think removing the stickers from the Fulcrum would make it look a pretty close match. You might also consider a Proton or Electron front wheel, assuming your rear rim is a clincher. They both have roughly the same rim design as the Nucleon. Proton was made the longest but later ones have black spokes.

MEENI

Got mine out of storrage, you inspired me
Was supprised it was a caad 5
A88C9A35-D17E-46C8-8F2C-E777AB5262E7.jpeg

Attachments

• 3E6B83B1-7DD7-454B-8EF1-3C7C568DD056.jpeg
    3E6B83B1-7DD7-454B-8EF1-3C7C568DD056.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 90

MEENI

it used to belong to a friend, swapped it for one of my gazelle ATB,s
I knew he had it but dit not see it for 5 years (In my opinion it was a caad 6)
Story on this is that it was bought as a frame set that it came from the team (reserve frame)
All the stuff they did nod need came back to the factory in the Netherlands
It looks beter on the picture than in the real, wil look at the numbers this week, its hard to see due to paintsweat

black lightning 1987

Staff member
CAAD6 and CAAD5 are the same except that CAAD6 is BB30 and CAAD5 has a threaded BB shell. Interesting that it may have been an actual team frame. I don't know how spares were handled - whether each team member had spares or whether there were spare frames meant to fit more than one rider if needed. Have a look at what is stamped in the BB shell.