CAAD differences

IdahoBrett

If I didn’t see anything that was already posted I apologize. It would be a neat reference if something was put together identifying the differences of the CAAD frames. It could be a can of worms considering both road and mountain bikes have their variations.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Yes it would be a project. Lots of differences especially in the MTBs, as there were so many model specific frame designs. The road frames are a bit simpler but you still have touring, CX, and time trial designs in addition to standard road. I have examples of most of the RXXX frames from CAAD2 to CAAD9, only missing a CAAD8.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I could measure tube diameters and details of the road frames but wouldn't have much information on the MTBs. Most of mine were built before the CAAD series came about. I think all I have is a couple of Headshok hardtail CAAD frames.

IdahoBrett

Not that I have any notion to “upgrade” either of my road bikes. But perusing the local classifieds for bike parts, especially crank parts. I’ve noticed some ads post what length chainstays the parts are compatible with. Not knowing what my frame(s) dimensions are I wouldn’t have a clue for parts compatibility.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I've never seen any sort of spec for cranks related to chainstay length. Might be an issue with fat bikes or some other frame configuration that I don't know about but standard road frames will take a wide range of cranks/chainrings - from 22 teeth at the low end to 56 at the high end.