Buying a used Cannondale...maybe

seh0872

Casual rider getting a bicycle for the first time in many years. Mostly will ride with family on paved roads, but would also like the ability to do rail trails which may or may not be paved, or the occasional forest fire road. No single track mountain trails requiring skill.

So I'm looking at road/mountain hybrids. Given some financial challenges, trying to stay under $400, but with inventory so low my choices are limited. Happened upon a 24-year old Cannondale H300 on the original CAAD1 frame at a local bike shop. With my limited knowledge of bicycles, not sure if a bike this old is worth the cost -- and of course -- what a fair price is. They're asking $350.

You can see a photo at http://barneysbicycle.com/barneysbicycle/images/usedbike/ub304.jpg

Any thoughts/guidance appreciated.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I agree that it's a bit overpriced compared to what it might have sold for 2-3 years ago. On the other hand it looks to be in good shape and shouldn't need much work in the near future. I wouldn't worry about its age at all, so for me it would come down to how it compares to other options in your price range.