Brake pad upgrades

IdahoBrett

Vintage bikes are great. Vintage bike brake pads not so much.

On one of my rides I have a descent at up to 35 mph (56kph). I got to thinking one day that just maybe 20+ year old brake pads aren’t a good idea.

I upgraded my R500 with Kool Stop pads. I’ve got another set on the way for my R400.

I’ll report back after my ride….

IMG_1652.jpeg
IMG_1653.jpeg

letsbike

I've used Kool Stop on my Cannondale cantilever brakes since 2018. I think that I'll stick with the brand. I'm very satisfied. Customer service has been responsive as well.

Attachments

• 20240507_184834.jpg
    20240507_184834.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 8

black lightning 1987

Staff member
One of my old riding buddies used every descent as an opportunity to hit 50 mph. He passed a H-D motorcycle once and surprised the rider. It never appealed to me to go that fast. With all the wildlife on the roads in my area I want as much time as possible to react. I've been over the bars twice hitting raccoons with concussion and broken bones resulting. Close encounters with deer but never hit one. Good brakes are a good thing.

IdahoBrett

Installed Kool Stop pads on the R400. At the bottom of a hill today I was at 30 mph (48.3 kph) and just beyond that is a 15 mph corner. That I take at 20 mph.

Wow! Impressive! I’m going to have to adjust my brake grip. My normal squeeze lifted me off the saddle.

IMG_1657.jpeg

IdahoBrett

... just imagine idahobrett is flying down the hill on the R400 with his cape waving like hell... :)
I do have a short sleeve “jersey” with cape that I’ve worn for the last 5 Halloween’s.

I should. I really should. Just for the shock value. And for added craziness when I pass people in my neighborhood I could shout “Have you seen Robin!?!” ;)

JohnnyD

I used their pads before and will again if and when my Magura HS33 pads where down on my M700. I don't have any bikes left with regular cantilever or V-brakes. Everything else is hydraulic or cable disc.