Bottom Bracket Replacement - 1995 F1000

rh32

I've had the same bike, a 1995 F1000, since new. The bottom bracket creaked on day 1 but have always just lived with it. I'm guessing it's probably time to replace it. The only question is where can I find a replacement, and do I need any specialized tools?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
There's no reason that a Shimano BB of that vintage should be noisy when new. My guess is that your creaking noise is coming from something else - seatpost, stem, etc. There are lengthy threads on other bike forums about mysterious noises and what eliminated them. I'm guessing that you have one of the Coda cranks. Best way to be sure of getting the right replacement BB is to pull the old one, check the model and measure the spindle length.

rh32

Also - for the bottom bracket, I saw a reference in another forum that a Park CPP-22 and Park BBT-22 work for removal on a 1995 F700. Considering this bike is a 1995 F1000, are my chances good that these tools will work? Figure I'll at least clean everything in the bottom bracket and re-grease it--probably needs it at this age anyway considering it has never been serviced.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Those tools should do the job. Remember that the drive side cup is left hand thread, non drive is right hand. That should be a sealed bearing BB. You won't be able to grease the bearings but grease on the threads and inside the cups may cure your noise if the BB is the source of it.