Beast question

I’m the hunt for beast of the East, 92ish or one that has the 1 1/4 headset. I’ve read that all M800’s are this geometry with high bottom bracket, but why do some not say beast of the East on rear of chain stay? Just says 3.0 series competition series.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I think they were only called B of E in the catalogs prior to 1993 models, just had the SM800 or M800 model decal in the early years. 1993 and 1994 bikes had 1 1/4" forks and B of E chainstay decals.

roKWiz

Most B of the E had roller cam brakes, 13in BB height and high head tubes.

phegans house.jpg

Vintage_bike_basement

I’m the hunt for beast of the East, 92ish or one that has the 1 1/4 headset. I’ve read that all M800’s are this geometry with high bottom bracket, but why do some not say beast of the East on rear of chain stay? Just says 3.0 series competition series.
Hey! You also have a few other model that could fall under the BOTE geometry. I know there’s an M600 and I think an M900 that had the high BB and slanting top tube. Like said above though, your very limited if you want the 1 1/4

JohnnyD

Hey! You also have a few other model that could fall under the BOTE geometry. I know there’s an M600 and I think an M900 that had the high BB and slanting top tube. Like said above though, your very limited if you want the 1 1/4
I've seen M600's with the raised BB, but never an M900. However, I wouldn't doubt Cannondale doing that though. You'd think that they would have simplified the frame making process for the M series frames and just used ONE style, but Cannondale just loved to do stuff like that to make us scratch our heads 30+ years later.

Vintage_bike_basement

I've seen M600's with the raised BB, but never an M900. However, I wouldn't doubt Cannondale doing that though. You'd think that they would have simplified the frame making process for the M series frames and just used ONE style, but Cannondale just loved to do stuff like that to make us scratch our heads 30+ years later.
1989, going back in the vault lol. The sm600 and sm900 were both BOTE geometry. I think after that is when they really started to make it the 1 model and not a separate line

black lightning 1987

Staff member
My earlier take on the BOTE decal was mistaken. I looked at my 1991 SM800 and it has the decal on the left chainstay. It has a 1" head tube.

This is all good info. I’ve dug around the catalogues and see that 89 600 same geo frame without the pepperoni fork. Maybe that’s better in a way bc not 11/4 headset. I really just like how sloping top tube/ high bottom bracket look. And feel roomy when in the rough stuff.