Bearings for my 1996 T1000

couf

Hey there everyone!

I'm trying to find info as to what sealed bearings I need in my original CODA front hub for my 1996 T1000. I replaced them some years ago with what the bearing shop had, but they always have a tiny bit of play and I'm wondering if anyone out there might know the precise measurements or model I need. Here is the basic info I could find if that helps: https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?item=56323

Happy to send along pics if you need.

Thank you, everyone!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I would just get the same part number bearing at the bearing store. SKF brand if possible. Be aware that there are counterfeit SKF bearings out there and they are difficult to distinguish from genuine. I'd guess that you have a better chance of landing genuine ones in Europe than we have in the USA.

couf

Thanks. That was my original plan but I don't have the original bearings and foolishly didn't get the reference when I replaced them since I was in a rush... So looking for the reference or dimensions.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I have a new Coda hub in the shop. Believe that it's a 900 model. I'll try to remember to look at it next time I'm there but it may be a few days. Bump the thread if you don't hear back from me.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Don't hesitate to remind me, repeatedly if it comes to that. I try to check in here at least twice a day but once I leave the site my mind is otherwise engaged.

couf

Thanks! I saw this the other day and forgot to reply. Bearings were ordered and arrived today - can't wait to put them in!

couf

HIithere! Sorry for the late reply - I kept getting an error message for the page when I tried to log in. Very happy to see it's all up and running again!

In the end, it turns out it's a CODA 700 hub and not a 900, so there are no dustcaps. I got the new bearings, but dadgummit, there's still play. It feels like the axle is too long and thus the bearings aren't butting up on the inside of the hub shell.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I guess alternatively I could put a hard plastic washer/spacer inside the hub shell, but would this make the most sense?

Thanks again!

couf

That is it, but the axle isn't standard on the inside. It has a seat for the bearings, but this seat doesn't seem to sit flush with the inside of the hub but just about 1mm or so off. I'll try with spacers and let you know how it goes.

Then again, I'm looking at changing my rims soon anyway, so I may just upgrade the hub at the same time...

black lightning 1987

Staff member
So the axle is a larger diameter in the space between the bearings? I can see that preventing excess preload on the bearings but 1 mm gap seems excessive. Perhaps the intention was that the bearings would have enough press fit that the shell couldn't move side to side on the bearings. You could Loctite the bearing/hub shell interface. I think the correct product would be Loctite 609.