BB0606 serial means made June 6, 1984?

FHorn

i purchased a racing frame with Campy Record components soon after the racing frame became available. It’s serial number is BB0606. Does that mean it was made June 6? Or does it mean something else?
All original except for brake pads and brake hoods.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Brian might have the definite answer, but my guess is that it was the 606th frame made in 1984. I'll try to look at my older frames and see if they conform to that theory. The way to know for sure would be to find one with the last two digits being 32 or higher. That would rule out a date oriented system.

FHorn

If 0606 were the count of frames produced, any idea if it were just for 1984, or since inception, or count by frame type for 1984?
Seems unlikely to be count by frame type, as I believe that was the first year the racing frame was produced and wouldn’t think they would have made that many of them but who knows?
I recall when ordering and wishing to have white that they “found one in the back corner” with a bad paint job and provided it to me.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
My guess is that it was the total number of frames produced of all types for that model year. Production might have been more than we might imagine. I don't have a 1984 frame but have come across several 1985 frames without specifically looking for one. By 1987 Cannondale must have been churning them out by the thousands.

How about some pictures of the bike. I wasn't aware that they had a Record equipped model. Will have to check out the 1984 catalog.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I was mistaken about not having a 1984 frame. One of my touring bikes is BB0634. I would say that the 34 rules out the month/day option. Still need to check the other two old frames.