Back to Biking!!

IdahoBrett

Hello all! Not sure how ya’ll feel about me signing up with only having a 2008 Cannondale F3. But I’m here. I bought it new, rode for a bit and then parked it. Not real old. But I like that vintage.

I now have youngsters interested in biking. So I dusted mine off, aired up the tires and went for a pedal. Discovered the rear brake lever piston siezed in the master cylinder bore and couldn’t find a rebuild kit. So I went ahead and replaced levers and calipers with a Shimano mt-200 set. I like them just because of the mineral oil vs. DOT fluid. Easier on the paint.

Now I’ve got a bug to get me some more Made in the USA Cannondale’s. In my opinion the finish work on the frames look better than new bikes. Yes I have been studying up on modern MTB geometry. I do like newer bikes. But my hair is turning grey, I just don’t see myself tearing up the trails enough to benefit.

Enough bloviating. Lets try a picture or two….

IMG_0096.jpeg
IMG_0095.jpeg

JohnnyD

Welcome to the site! Nothing wrong with a made in the USA very clean looking 2008 F3 .. good choice on the MT200 brakes too, the are super reliable and more than powerful enough for 99% of the trails most riders will ever see.
You should be warned though.. Buying Cannondale bikes can be addicting.

JohnnyD

You will be needing a couple of road bikes, a CX, a touring bike, hybrids, single speeds, etc................
This would be sad if it weren't only TOO true..
Even though I have long since given up on road bikes.. I still keep finding myself looking at them than a couple of newer "gravel" bikes. I was THIS close to picking up another newer Cannondale. https://www.ebay.com/itm/295843696562
Really I lost the bid by $10.00!

IdahoBrett

Yes I have been perusing the vintage catalog section to discover what other models Cannondale sold in the past. I’m currently on the hunt for a Beast of the East. Just yesterday whilst perusing 1995, I saw the T1000 and T700. Don’t know why, but I like. I’m gonna have to get creative real quick for bike storage/hangers…

JohnnyD

I’m gonna have to get creative real quick for bike storage/hangers…
Yeah about that... I seem to have nice lumber pile wrapped under 4 mil plastic and a couple of big blue tarps for good measure that I NEED to get to work on assembling into a big box shape... It's just too darn hot to do it though.

IdahoBrett

Wait...I just discovered another model I like; Warrior 700 R. Saw an ad on KSL. Too bad it's a medium.

Off to research the catalogs to find what years they were made. Heck with a modern gravel bike. The Warrior 700 R looks to fit the bill. That is if tires other than road tires will fit.....

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Wait...I just discovered another model I like; Warrior 700 R. Saw an ad on KSL. Too bad it's a medium.

Off to research the catalogs to find what years they were made. Heck with a modern gravel bike. The Warrior 700 R looks to fit the bill. That is if tires other than road tires will fit.....
I think the range on the Road Warrior is 2001-2008. I've always wanted to try one but they seem relatively scarce. I think they will fit 32 mm tires (see 2007 400 and 500 specs) but most came with 25-28s.

IdahoBrett

There is a 2005 Warrior 800, patriot blue, LG frame near where a friend lives (7 hour drive from me) that looks good in the CL ad pics for 250. I wondered about “how big of a tire” would fit.

I may phone a friend this weekend…

texmexas

The 2001 road warrior 500 and 800 were, I believe, their cad 3 cyclocross frames, so they should fit 38mm tires, maybe even 40 or 42, not sure about the 1000 model for that year.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
The 2001 road warrior 500 and 800 were, I believe, their cad 3 cyclocross frames, so they should fit 38mm tires, maybe even 40 or 42, not sure about the 1000 model for that year.
They were not CX frames, had caliper brakes with more relaxed geometry than the RXXXX road frames. I wouldn't expect them to fit much above a 28 mm tire, but I haven't owned one.

texmexas

I'm not an expert but look at the 2001 catalog, it was the first year for the road warrior and it looks like they brought it to market with the CAAD3 CX frame. The frame details look like CX and the catalog says CX. It was the only year. The RW500 is not in the catalog but I saw one, almost bought it, it was CAAD3 CX. I could be wrong about all this but I don't think so. I only have 3 Cannondales but have researched a bit.

IdahoBrett

I'm not an expert but look at the 2001 catalog, it was the first year for the road warrior and it looks like they brought it to market with the CAAD3 CX frame. The frame details look like CX and the catalog says CX. It was the only year. The RW500 is not in the catalog but I saw one, almost bought it, it was CAAD3 CX. I could be wrong about all this but I don't think so. I only have 3 Cannondales but have researched a bit.
Well I’ll be a monkey’s Uncle! I just pulled up the 2001 catalog. It indeed does say for the Road Warrior frames that they are caad3 cyclocross. As best I could read anyway. The scanned pages get pretty blurry when zooming in. I have to zoom with my aging eyes.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
You are correct. Seems it might have been a one year thing. I wouldn't consider it a CX bike though because it has a flat handlebar. I remembered that the "real" CX models in 2001 were the Cyclocross 800 and 800 Ultra, which replaced the previous XR800 and XS800. I'd never noticed that the Road Warrior evidently used the same frame. As to tire size, here's a CAAD3 XR800 with 38 mm Kendas. They are probably too wide for muddy conditions. I don't think I'd want to run bigger tires.
XR800 tire cleance Kenda 38 mm.jpg

texmexas

You are correct. Seems it might have been a one year thing. I wouldn't consider it a CX bike though because it has a flat handlebar. I remembered that the "real" CX models in 2001 were the Cyclocross 800 and 800 Ultra, which replaced the previous XR800 and XS800. I'd never noticed that the Road Warrior evidently used the same frame. As to tire size, here's a CAAD3 XR800 with 38 mm Kendas. They are probably too wide for muddy conditions. I don't think I'd want to run bigger tires.View attachment 10765
Based on color, that looks like a '99, My '98 I got new came with IRC Cross 38mm, as stated in the catalog. Agreed it's not real roomy in the back. Up front my XS fork easily runs a Maxxis Rambler 40mm.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Based on color, that looks like a '99, My '98 I got new came with IRC Cross 38mm, as stated in the catalog. Agreed it's not real roomy in the back. Up front my XS fork easily runs a Maxxis Rambler 40mm.
Agree, much more room at the front. They kind of got that part wrong.