'94 Super V

JohnnyD

$120 with shipping. When all is said and done, the most expensive part of this bike build will be the groupset, which will come in under $300 as well. Unless Shimano gets off their butts and actually releases the 11 speed Link-glide parts to retail sales that I am wanting to try out and even that will come in at around $275.

All I am waiting for on the drivetrain right now though is for the M5100 11-51T cassettes to come in stock after the middle of the month.

Last edited:

JohnnyD

Decals applied and first layer of clear applied. I still have to scuff and lay down a second coat of clear.

I wonder if Brian would recognize the frame now?

Attachments

• 20220409_185312.jpg
    20220409_185312.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
  • 20220409_185130.jpg
    20220409_185130.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 74

JohnnyD

The cassette weighs 620G. Thanks for saying the paint looks good. I didn't want it to be like brand new, just used but very well taken care of. If that makes any sense.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Metallic can be tricky to spray. Looks like you got a very uniform finish. I just ordered a quart of Hammered Green Rustoleum to refinish several vintage S-K socket set boxes. Thinking that I should send the whole mess to you...

JohnnyD

Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass. I still have the Delta V to work on next and am dreading it.

JohnnyD

It is almost there....

20220414_192146.jpg

I borrowed the wheels off of my Jekyll while it is getting a new carbon crank and 32T chainring to make the Super V a "roller". I still have a few things left to tidy up. Namely, brakes and tires, cables and the correct Super V 2000 and Handbuilt in the USA decals.
I'll take a few more pictures of it this weekend when the new SRAM 12sp NX/GX groupset arrives..

Well what does everyone think ?????

Thanks really go to the amazing founder of this site Brian, without whom this bike would have not been possible for me to find.

Last edited:

JohnnyD

Hey, all I wanted to do was ride it. I have always thought that Super V's and Raven's were just super cool looking. I don't care if they have some quirks and aren't as "great" as a modern bike.Truth be told, I would much rather ride an older bike than a new one. The new ones are just too good and I feel make most riders too complacent on the trails. When the bike is more capable than the riders skill level is when bad things happen. To me older bikes help prevent that for me. After all I am not young anymore and wiping out freaking hurts!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I wouldn't mind trying a modern MTB but there's no way that I could justify the cost of one. I'm not much for hauling a bike somewhere in order to ride. There are four state parks within riding distance but only one of them has trails that can't be negotiated on a road bike.

JohnnyD

I wouldn't mind trying a modern MTB but there's no way that I could justify the cost of one. I'm not much for hauling a bike somewhere in order to ride. There are four state parks within riding distance but only one of them has trails that can't be negotiated on a road bike.
I definitely understand that, for the prices of modern MTB's there is no way I can justify that expense. Even the so called "budget" carbon bikes like the Polygon's are just not worth it in my opinion. Besides which, they all seem to lack a sense of style. They all seem like the same to me. I do find bikes like Atherton incredibly technologically fascinating with their 3D printed Titanium frame lugs and carbon fiber tubes but they are still WAY out of my budget. I would buy a older beater truck to haul my other bikes around long before shelling out that kind of money for a bike. Granted they are amazingly capable, but their capabilities far exceed my skill level too so they are pointless.

JohnnyD

And now for some eye candy. I accidently deleted the pictures taken of the parts being installed. Thankfully, you can see just how nicely a SRAM Eagle groupset looks on a '90's MTB!
20220418_162427.jpg
20220418_162434.jpg
20220418_162443.jpg

I still need to finish up the final install of the parts, but that can't be done until I can put the suspension under compression. The B gap adjustment needs to be done with the rear suspension at it's sag height. That's not a problem someone with a hard tail bike would have to deal with. Hopefully, the brakes and tires arrive soon and then I can ride this bike!!!

A tiny part of me wants to swap it onto my Jekyll and put the MicroShift 1x9 on the Super V. Regardless it's totally nuts to see a 12 speed cassette with 11-50T on a bike made in 1994!! (or 2004 for that matter)

JohnnyD

I just realized that I am going to have to really clean this bike before I take pictures of it next time. It's dusty!

JohnnyD

Here some pictures after the chain installation and B gap adjustment are done. The tool that SRAM provides to do it is so super easy to use. I wish other companies would do something similar. It shifts through all twelve gears but lags a little so I still need to do some tweaking on the shifting to get everything perfect. Also it likes to drop gears when back pedalling in anything over 8th gear. Which really isn't a problem since I seldom do that, but I am sure a little tweaking on cable tension will solve it. One thing I had a few concerns about was how low the derailleur would be when in 12th on 26" tires. It's pretty close to the same height as the SGS cage M580 rear derailleur is on the M700.

I did run into one small problem during the installation. I noticed that the derailleur wouldn't line up with the smallest gear even with the high limit screw backed all the way out. After a little searching online, I found a post that it is an issue that happens sometimes with SRAM derailleurs(both MTB and road) and can be solved by placing a 2mm chain ring spacer behind the derailleur mounting screw. I did it and everything was good to go.

1st gear: 20220419_163418.jpg 7th:20220419_163432.jpg 12th:20220419_163456.jpg Chain line in 12th:20220419_163517.jpg

I had use the Jekyll's wheels to put the rear shock how it will be when riding. Otherwise I would have had to wait for the tires to arrive from Germany. They shipped yesterday, so I should be giving this bike a first ride soon. My goal was before Christmas and I am thinking I will definitely make that! I figure that the first week of May and I will have a very cool 1994 Super V 2000 with hydraulic disc brakes and 12 speed. Can you believe it!

Last edited:

JohnnyD

Thanks, I have some personal criticisms of the paint job. Overall, I am very pleased with how it came out and I am sure the Delta V will be much better once I get started on it.