4 hole disc brakes.

gfacer

So, I found out that this '00 700sx super V I have has the funky and short lived coda hubs with a 4 bolt disc pattern.

I only noticed because after my recent "steal your bike back" adventure, I think I warped the back disc, and then noticed it was only secured by 2 screws as that's all that lines up with a standard 6 hole disc.

I gather you can get from Germany but $43+ euro plus shipping has me trying something less ideal.

I am going to buy a set of cheaper rotors that I think I can grind out a notch for some attachment points where the other two bolts would go. Hard to find rotors that have enough meat to do this, and I'll probably use a washer too, but I think I found something that would work.

This must be a problem for others occasionally so I'll post results here. I'd also note that this is for around town riding due to that bike having the bonded swingarm so I don't need dh level of braking and this is also the back brake as the front has the proper rotor.

The other Super V I am working on has 6 bolt hubs so that can be the off-road capable bike.

purpurite

I spent a lot of time working through the discs on my F700, where the Magura hydraulics require a special fitting to bleed them properly. Setting them up perfectly was difficult if not impossible, and they still groan every once in a while.

How is this relevant? Well, at the start of my Magura brake bleed journey, a few guys recommended to me to just ditch the Maguras and buy some Shimanos to replace them right off the bat. I balked at the ides of starting over with different brakes, thinking that I would need to replace the rotors and thus the Coda hubs, too. I thought that it would make more sense to keep the OEM and "do it right" by the bike.

In the end, it was a MASSIVE pain in the butt, needing to source the special out of production bleed fitting and trying everything else along the way. If I had it to do again, I would have bought new calipers and levers right off the bat and ditched the weird OE Maguras for something more evolved. I would (and will) ditch the Magura calipers, levers, rotors and replace the hubs with a more standardized 6-bolt rotor pattern.

Seems like everything Cannondale did for a while was like the Sony Beta format—it worked fine, but everyone else went in a different direction making so much of the OE parts quickly obsolete. Dump the 4-bolt rotors and hubs the first chance you get.

Doug

gfacer

Well, since the front is a lefty, it seems to make more sense to deal with the hub and figure out a decent solution. OG Lefty hubs don't seem easy to come by either, and I would assume are usually 4 bolt anyways.

Customer laser cut version could make sense too, from someone like sendcutsend although ideally they would be heat treated and glass bead blasted. But if I was doing a restore job that would be cool.

JohnnyD

I haven't yet found any source of new 4 bolt disc's. NOS ones sometimes do appear on Ebay, especially in the UK, You could try looking on the retrobike forums as well.
If the disc is not too terribly bent , they can be straightened. They tool is readily available from Park Tools as well as several other bike tool makers.

JohnnyD

Well, since the front is a lefty, it seems to make more sense to deal with the hub and figure out a decent solution. OG Lefty hubs don't seem easy to come by either, and I would assume are usually 4 bolt anyways.

Customer laser cut version could make sense too, from someone like sendcutsend although ideally they would be heat treated and glass bead blasted. But if I was doing a restore job that would be cool.
Interesting idea. I had forgotten about sendcutsend. I'd agree the big issue with that route would be with the proper type of metal and heat treatment being used.

gfacer

Interesting idea. I had forgotten about sendcutsend. I'd agree the big issue with that route would be with the proper type of metal and heat treatment being used.
I think the metal is just a type of stainless. Probably something they have and probably something they have done before.

gfacer

So, here is the result of chosing a disk that had some meat in the center, marking out the missing holes, and grinding material away around the marks.

Unfortunately, I'm now off to figure out the clunking noise that was not the disc brake!

Axle (er skewer, maybe not the same thing?) seems ok.

I assume this is all related to the shoving in the car part after stealing the bike back as it wasn't like this before.

Attachments

• IMG_20230626_202240.jpg
    IMG_20230626_202240.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 48

gfacer

It was the axle.

So, my options are a new wheel, a rebuild kit, or a new hub. Oddly, a set (not a lefty front, but front and back) of coda 4 bolt hubs are up on Ebay for $50 CDN which, given I figured out the rotor issue, seems like perhaps an option that keeps things a little more stock (I have to say that I don't think the actual hydraulic brakes are stock though). I am assuming I could swap out the axle of the Ebay hub and save the hassle of changing the wheel, and have some spare bearings as well.

$30 if I can pickup, so maybe I will try that. Seems like a good option then. At $50 I could just keep an eye out for a decent 26" disc hub.

Kanonental

What disc size are you looking for? I have several 4-hole discs laying around for years, no use for them. Maybe i can send it as a"gift" to the US, that way you will have to pay only the shipping form Germany to US, i don't charge anything for the disc itself.
Just write me a PM.

gfacer

I'll see how the hub turns out first but thank you, I will pm you. My hub plan already isn't working out as well as hoped as the hub on the bike wasn't able to be disassembled so I told them to go ahead and rebuild the wheel on the new hub.