2001 Scalpel, but does the serial number tell more?

As I found from this (excellent) site, manufacturing date was April 2001. But does the attached serial number tell more? For an overview I have added a picture of the total bike as well.

Thank you for every information.

Cannondale-Scalpel-2001-04-Seriennummer.jpeg Cannondale-2001-Scalpel-3000-150513.jpeg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
There may be production records at the factory that would provide more information but we don't have access to them.

Scalpel does not show in the catalogs until 2003, so MD may be the size rather than the production date. If later than 2001 production it should have had a bar code sticker, but they can be removed.

The Coda crank is interesting as I thought cranks in this era were branded Cannondale instead of Coda. What type of bottom bracket does it have?

There may be production records at the factory that would provide more information but we don't have access to them.
Ok, thank you for telling me.
... so MD may be the size rather than the production date. If later than 2001 production it should have had a bar code sticker, but they can be removed.
You are right with the barcode sticker from 2002 onwards. But on your website, tab "Serial numbers" I found the following picture, from which I had deducted April 2001:
Production year.jpeg

Scalpel does not show in the catalogs until 2003, so...
In general, you certainly know much more about that. But in my special case, I'm sure I either bought my Scalpel late 2001 or early 2002. So it cannot be produced later than 2001 (don't forget it first had to travel to Europe). And it's definitely a Scalpel, because it has a large writing "Scalpel" on the frame. On the other side of the frame shown in my first posting.
The Coda crank is interesting as I thought cranks in this era were branded Cannondale instead of Coda. What type of bottom bracket does it have?
My I ask with my limited layman's knowledge: What is a "coda crank", and what is the "bottom bracket"?

I guess that "crank" means the thing, on which the pedals are mounted. If yes, and if the logo visible in my picture of the whole bike means "Coda", then I can't tell. The picture is 6 years old, and because of a failure, meanwhile I have a Shimano system there.

But what do you mean with "bottom bracket"?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Bottom bracket is the term for the crank bearings and spindle assembly. Cannondale pioneered the BB30 standard, Shimano the Octalink, Campagnolo the Utra Torque, others the ISIS. Cannondale used all of these at some point, and other types as well.

I might be interested in the Coda crank if you still have it.

I might be interested in the Coda crank if you still have it.
Oh, I'm sorry, I don't have it.
Unfortunately I don't even remember, when and why the exchange to the present Shimano has been made. But sure only for some sort of technical reason (repair or so), and not for any type of optimization.