1x conversion costs

JohnnyD

Since it has come up, I thought I would make a post about the costs involved with converting to a 1x system. This is NOT a 100% accurate cost of ALL the parts need for every bike. But one that have certain "prerequisites" like a rear wheel that has a 9-11 speed HG driver freehub that you can use your existing crank and bottom bracket.

Here’s some examples of costs involved in swapping your bike to 1x 8,9,10, and 11 speed without changing the crank. All of them will be just the basic parts needed and approximate cost of buying them from a US based online retailer, NOT Amazon or E-bay!
Includes: (shifter, 1x RaceFace chainring(32T), rear derailleur, cassette and chain) I left out the cost of cables, etc..

1x8 (MicroShift Acolyte): $155 (12-42T)
1x9(MicroShift Advent): $206 (11-42T)
1x10(MicroShift AdventX): $256 (11-46T)
1x11(Shimano M5100):$260 (11-51T)

1x12(SRAM Eagle NX w/ SRAM PG1230(for HG hubs) cassette and existing crank) $350
With SRAM Eagle NX crank(32T) and new DUB bottom bracket:$500

The cost of the 12 speed is why I decided against building the Super V 2000 with it, even though I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to!!!!!! For basically half the cost I get close to the same gear range with the Shimano M5100 system. The money saved on that I spent on converting the bike to full hydraulic disc brakes.

Current as of 4/9/22

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Are Shimano 11 speed MTB freehubs the same spline depth as the 11 speed road hubs? SRAM 11/12 also the same?

I built a SRAM 10 road bike about 10 years ago. It's been easy to stay away from their stuff since given the cost.

JohnnyD

From what I've read they are not the same depth. I can't remember if the are shorter or longer that MTB hubs. I've never really paid attention to road hubs or bikes because it's not a type of riding I am interested it.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I posted the question on another forum and the first response I got was that the 12 speed cassette will fit on the 9 speed hub. Don't understand how the cassette could be that narrow when Shimano had to widen their freehub body when they went to 11 speed on the road hubs.

JohnnyD

Shimano 12 speed cassettes won't fit, they are all microspline. Most of SRAM's 12 sp. are XD driver cassettes as well. However, they do make one 12 speed cassette(PG-1230 11-51T) with for HG hubs and Sunrace makes several that fit HG hubs. That is the only way you can currently get a 12 speed system to work on HG hubs. Both the SRAM and Sunrace cassettes work with SRAM shifters only. Shimano tweaked the spacing on their shifters so they wont work.
I think you can get MTB cassettes to work with road hubs with a spacer behind the cassette. Like what you have to use for 7 speed on the larger 8sp and up HG freehubs.
It's for all those reasons that I decided against going 12 speed on the Super V and decided on a the Shimano 11-51T 11 speed. I can get the same range(minus one gear) as the 12 speed system without all that hassle. That works for me.