1998 Super V 600 Updgrades

bluegill

E9CD6201-CEE1-4B83-8344-94BC8210BC5A.jpeg

6983ADEE-77AC-4F38-810F-78D02F46F8FB.jpeg

Been really enjoying riding the upgraded relic! It’s starting to cool down here in AZ...at least at sunrise.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Nice pics. Where did you take them? I used to visit Phoenix several times a year, but generally out towards Goodyear. Don't remember any big boulders in that area.

bluegill

These pics are from the Brown's Ranch Trail area in North Scottsdale, about 10 miles north of my home. There are a lot of trails (including Brown's) in the McDowell Mountain Sonoran Preserve. It's a beautiful area of over 30K acres of virgin Sonoran desert that has been protected from the urban development sprawl. There are many areas where the Precambrian granite outcrops and its perpendicular joint sets erode into spherical shapes, hence the giant rounded boulders. Really cool area that I haven't ridden in almost exactly 20 years. The singletrack is a nice, flowy crushed granite that is eroded from the surrounding outcrops. Contrast this with the trails just a couple miles north of my house where thrust faults have the geology all confused and the result is incredibly rocky trails full of all sorts of hard igneous, metamorphic, and volcanic outwash.

Couple more photos - first photo is facing west with volcanics in the background (Browns Mountain, the dark cap rock is basaltic lava flow and the white layer is a pyroclastic flow). Second photo is taken at the same place but looking east at Cholla Mountain which is composed of the Precambrian granite.

Browns.jpg

Cholla.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I was guessing the location must have been somewhere north, surprised it's that close to Scottsdale though. I was thinking more like Crown King. That trail surface looks really soft, do you feel like you're riding in mush? Everything packs down hard here, except when it's wet. Thinking some water would make that trail nicer to ride. Thanks for the geology lesson and your informative posts in general.

Are those Exustar pedals? I bought a few pairs a while back. Really nice though not exactly light. Rode one of my touring bikes today, was wishing I'd had the Exustars instead of the pedals that came on the bike - which are almost impossible to flip over and get your toe started into the clips and straps.

bluegill

That part of the trail was soft gravel but for the most part it's hard-packed granitic gravel, very smooth and fast. When you dip down and cross a wash it's soft and sucks all your speed just in time for the climb back up the other side of the wash. Not very nice.

Those pedals are Nukeproof Horizon Pro's. I've been riding clipless for years (on the few occasions when I rode) and I decided to try platforms again. They are great but the pins have very sharp edges, need to adjust them and round them off a bit. Whenever I bump my legs against the pedals it looks like a cat scratched the hell out of me! Reminds me of my Hutch beartraps back in the BMX days. They aren't very light either at 431 grams or just under a pound. They do have good bushings and sealed cartridge bearings though. I didn't want to spend double on Ti axles which brings the weight down to about 360 grams.

bluegill

Had another fun morning in the desert...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 191
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 211
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 218

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Thanks for the ride pics. Unlikely that I will ever get to Phoenix again, but the pics bring back good memories of my time in the area.

I still haven't dug out a pair of the Exustar pedals. As I remember they have fixed pins (nubs) on one side and replaceable threaded ones on the other. I think the fixed ones are shorter/more rounded.

roKWiz

Great looking uber V 0.5 you built, similar to mine, a 97-98 V1000 I modded to give me 5-6in rear travel using a stable platform shock.
The original Headshok I overhauled and works fine offroad with the rear setup.

2014-06-04_09.47.19-347x253.jpg

This XL V was a $150 ebay special when I purchased it without a back wheel but love those single piece cranks.
uber_and_Mr_Scribbly-538x460.jpg

bluegill

I haven't really thought much about it....I bought it purely for nostalgia. This is a 1992 Delta V 1000 and I had a 1992 Delta V 2000 back in the mid-90s. I was surfing local Craigslist and saw this DV and I had to rescue it. It appears to be all original based on the 1992 catalog, except for tires, grips, chain, and a couple cables. The previous owner bought it new and just had it tuned up to start riding again but ended up buying an ebike instead. I picked it up for $200. I'll clean it up a bit and hang it in the garage next to the Super V.

I picked up my old DV 2000 when I was in Geology grad school field camp in Moab in the summer of 1994. It was a bike shop rental bike that they had up for sale. I bought it and had it shipped back to Ohio. It was originally black & purple and I had it painted with a blue-silver fade. Then a couple years later I stripped the paint and polished it. Sold it when I replaced it with a San Andreas in 1997.
Delta V blue1.jpg

Delta V blue2.jpg

BG8.jpg

DELTA2.jpg

JohnnyD

Nice Delta V 1000!!! One more bike to add to my list of Cannondalebikes I am going to find and save...time to go see what fleabay has to offer

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I really like the early 1990s MTBs as that's when I bought my first, but have never ridden a dual suspension Cannondale. Would love to find one some day to go with my 1992 DV900 and 1993 M800 and M1000. Great pics of your old bike as well.