1998 Super V 2000 Pivot removal help

d9h

I'm currently breaking down a 1998 Super V 2000 to powder coat it. I'm having trouble removing the pivot bolt. I believe it to be the gold 3 piece A459 pivot bolt. I've tried WD40 and PB Blaster to help loosen it up. I've been using two 8mm allen wrenches (turning counter-clockwise) with a breaker bar and ratchet on the other. So far the bolt has not broken loose. Any tricks or tips to get this to break loose?
Thanks,
David

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
could you post a photo so we are all on the same page? I believe what you are talking about is the same on Jekylls and V's

d9h

could you post a photo so we are all on the same page? I believe what you are talking about is the same on Jekylls and V's
I'm out of town at the moment but I have found out that the pivot bolt is the same on the super V and early Jekyll. Mine is gold but others are black. It may be seized or the previous owner may have used some type of thread locker or both. Thoughts on getting it out without destroying anything?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Loctite can be loosened up with heat. You might try a propane torch on the bolt head for a bit. Wrap a wet cloth around painted parts that might get cooked.

d9h

Finally got it out. Used a torch to heat it up and 2 breaker bars. Thanks for the tip. Pivot bolt is a two piece design and the threads look rusty brown, but I should be able to reuse it. BTW, I'm planning to repaint the frame so I didn't cover the frame when torching it and the paint still looks fine.

d9h

I would say it looks like Red (permanent) loctite more than rust. It didn't just break free and then spin out. I had to use a lot of effort for about 3/4 of the threads.