1998 Cannondale CAD3 F1000

Zachariah

Any bright ideas on how to bring the rear derailleur hanger back to normal?
f1000_bent.jpg

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
How far have the dropouts been spread? I would probably make some sort of wooden structure to spread the load across the left side stays, with a fulcrum projecting to the bend in the drive side seat stay. Then pull the dropouts together with a piece of all thread. May not work, could kink the seat stay at the bend.

Zachariah

How far have the dropouts been spread? I would probably make some sort of wooden structure to spread the load across the left side stays, with a fulcrum projecting to the bend in the drive side seat stay. Then pull the dropouts together with a piece of all thread. May not work, could kink the seat stay at the bend.
Drive side dropout has about 8mm of misalignment/deflection. Your idea of using wood sounds very viable. I am considering fabricating two long, "tubing blocks" made of Pinewood and gently vise the bent stay back in, using strategically-placed long bolts and washers.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Yes, if you could cut a concave that matched the diameter of the stay in a piece of wood, it would be less likely to deform the tube at the bend when straightening. Easy to do with a router or shaper.