1994 Pepperoni fork

btremblay

I bought a 1994 M700 frame and was interested to find that its seemingly original Pepperoni fork is threadless, as my 1992 M700 fork is threaded.

The matching original paint is what makes me assumevthe 94 threadless fork is original.

When my 1992 M700 fork was recalled, I chose the replacement Pepperoni rather than the suspension fork option and it came in gloss black.

How do I confirm whether the fork is original and if it is, whether it would be part of the recall?

Thanks!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
What year was your 1992 fork recalled? Do remember the reason for the recall? I have several 1991-1995 Pepperoni forks so would be interested to know where the problem area was.

I would assume the 1994 fork is original if the paint matches the frame and the fork has the Pepperoni decal. Hopefully someone will know what year(s) were included in the recall.

btremblay

I believe the suspension fork offered as a replacement option (for a small charge, IIRC) was a Rock Shox Quadra and that was produced 93-95. I recall being advised against it by a friend who deemed the elastomer suspension to be inferior.

I’m guessing it was 1994. I think the reason for the recall was the steerer tube separating.

btremblay

Ok, I did some more research and found mention of the recall being for forks manufactured between August 1991 and August 1992. My M700 serial indicates production in October 1991 (thanks to the serial number decoder here), so that lines up.
I still contacted Cannondale about it, though.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Did you ask if it was just the threaded forks or the Headshok forks as well? I have one of each that could be in that time frame. The Headshok fork almost certainly is but I can't find a serial number on the frame with the threaded fork. From the date range I'm guessing that it may only involve 1992 model year bikes. Hope that's the case as the SM800 lacking serial number is a 1991.

btremblay

Here’s the reply from Cannondale:

“The only way to determine if your bike is affected by the recall is by checking the steerer tube for the type of material its made of. Only aluminum steerer tubes were affected.”

I checked my 94 M700 steerer and a magnet stuck to it, so I’m in the clear.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
That's interesting. I wouldn't have though that Cannondale made a threaded AL steerer tube. What size head tube does your 1992 bike have? Measure the diameter of the stem quill. 7/8" means it has a 1" head tube, 1" means it's 1 1/8", 1 1/8" means it has a 1 1/4" head tube. These are nominal sizes, actual quill diameter will usually be .005-.008" under size.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Did the 1992 replacement fork have a steel steerer? I'd guess they only tried AL steerers on 1 1/4" forks but don't know for sure. The only 1 1/4" bike I have is a 1993 M800 but I've never had the stem out to check the steerer. Guessing that it's steel, hope I can get around to checking it. Forgot to mention that all 1993 rigid forks were threaded. 1994 was the first year for threadless - only the models below M600 were threaded.

btremblay

If all goes according to plan, I'm going to be swapping the cockpit from my 1992 to the 1994 and I can check the steerer material then.
Thanks for the answer on threadless forks. I wish that finding stems to fit 1 1/4 forks was a little easier.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I have at least one, an ITM Eclypse. Nice nickel plated tig welded steel stem. Would have to check but pretty sure that I have the road model on my 1999 R4000.

btremblay

I finally settled on a Giant Contact OD2 stem, but was considering a Ritchey as well. Beyond that, there’s few options.