1994 Killer V900, what stem should it have

jimwise68

Just picked up a blue to silver fade 1994 Killer V900.

All the components except a few have been swapped out for cheap modern counterparts.

It has a small modern stem on and wide Boardman bars which have to come off. But the Pepperoni are threadless and have a 1 1/4" steerer, is that correct?

If so what stem should it have and does anyone have one :)

thanks

Jim

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I didn't find a 1994 KV900 in the catalog. Pictures would clarify the situation. That is the era of the 1 1/4" quill stems on rigid forks but threadless stems were used on the Headshok bikes. Not sure what you have.

jimwise68

It is the one on page 13 of this catalogue:

https://vintagecannondale.com/year/1994/1994.pdf

Looking online it seems there was a ahead stem in 1 1/4" and not a quill, so must of been later on in the production year perhaps. I know it looks like it may be an effort to find a stem.

I also have a 1997 SV700 (Active 80) that should be tangerine in colour, but is the exact frame and decals (viper red and black rear swingarm) of a 1996 SVA 3000.

Must also be another crossover build from parts in the factory.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
1993 Pepperoni forks (for rigid models) were 1 1/4" threaded and used quill stems. 1994 were threadless on all the MTBs except the 3.8 series. The stem that came with your KV was tig welded steel and has a plated finish. I'm pretty sure that the bolt for the fork clamp is hidden inside the extension. I believe those stems were made by Alico.

It seems that paint on European models sometimes differs from what is shown in the catalogs. Cannondale did print separate catalogs for some years. There are some Euro market catalogs in the scans.

Zachariah

Just picked up a blue to silver fade 1994 Killer V900.

All the components except a few have been swapped out for cheap modern counterparts.

It has a small modern stem on and wide Boardman bars which have to come off. But the Pepperoni are threadless and have a 1 1/4" steerer, is that correct?

If so what stem should it have and does anyone have one :)

thanks

Jim
I have these to choose from. The black center one is period correct:
E8ADDE52-C6FD-40DD-BBBE-88340BE6DE2B.jpeg

jimwise68

1993 Pepperoni forks (for rigid models) were 1 1/4" threaded and used quill stems. 1994 were threadless on all the MTBs except the 3.8 series. The stem that came with your KV was tig welded steel and has a plated finish. I'm pretty sure that the bolt for the fork clamp is hidden inside the extension. I believe those stems were made by Alico.

It seems that paint on European models sometimes differs from what is shown in the catalogs. Cannondale did print separate catalogs for some years. There are some Euro market catalogs in the scans.

thanks for the info :)

chumaman

IMG-20200617-150104.jpg

IMG-20200617-150035.jpg

just showing off;):)
it is also the poorest stem ever seen on a cannondale :mad::D

Last edited:

chumaman

If they are for sale, I would love one of the silver Coda ones :)
Coda stems are 1 1/8...not existing for 1994 Killer V900...only cro mo garbage,speaking from experience I spent some time looking for the same.
There are very rarely on offer, I only saw one in Germany, a silver one in pretty bad shape for 30EU :(o_O

chumaman

Shipped to UK is £45 total. Please note the stems are Headshok compatible only.
Your stems are 1 1/2.....and are absolutely not relative to this topic o_O you should know this before you offer here :(
What is required looks like this ;)
2273315-z778gwd1t7bk-c44972dc-aa9a-487c-bcca-851ee556695a-medium.jpg

7-B5-D24-B3-2-D12-415-C-BAFC-5-A74-D614-A839.jpg

And to repeat the aluminum Coda stem does not exist in 1 1/4 :D

Last edited: