1991 SE2000 - brand new in the box!

petergt4

This came about because of a post in a Facebook group I belong to and decided to immediately jump onto it.

I'm not sure if others had seen the listing on eBay, so I grabbed this right away.

A brand new, still in the box, SE2000! Never built and still in the protective wrap. It even came with the fork, owner's manual, Force40 cable stops and the shock wrench! Stored for 29 years...

It was delivered to a local bike store and when the owners retired and sold the business, they took with them parts and frames and this was one they never got around to building up!

Now, just to source out period-correct parts to complete it.

:)

SE2000-3379-k.JPG SE2000-3379-l.JPG SE2000-3379-n.JPG

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Wow, that's quite a find. Are you going to try to build to catalog spec? If not, I have some NOS parts that would be period correct - Campagnolo rims, SunTour hubs and cassettes.

petergt4

Wow, that's quite a find. Are you going to try to build to catalog spec? If not, I have some NOS parts that would be period correct - Campagnolo rims, SunTour hubs and cassettes.

Suntour XC was used on the SE1000 and there is one NOS groupset on Ebay, in Italy that the guy is asking a fortune for it. Doesn't matter as Suntour used a different spline pattern for their cassettes and are impossible to find now. Only NOS available and the usual shops I buy from are asking $150+.

The SE2000 came with mostly Shimano XT (7 spd and thumb shifters). I've got some leads on those parts. New 7 spd cassettes from either Shimano or Sunrace are available and less than $20 each. 110/74 BCD Chainrings, chains and cassettes are consumables but are also getting rare so I have been hoarding those lately.

I also bought modern 26" Mavic rims and other bits for the SE1000 project and will use what ever is appropriate from that and sell off what isn't. It won't be 100% period correct, but close and reasonable.

It will live a gentle life, but will be ridden!
SE2000-3379-x.jpg

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
You also need the logic crankset, and the cannondale easton bars. This will be a cool build. :)

I found a SE1k frame a few years ago. Had trouble finding the old parts, and came across a full DX set. although not original, I thought.. maybe somebody did a upgrade back in the day. As these bikes get older and older, parts are getting harder and harder to find. Why this is so amazing you found this brand new.... IN THE BOX!

petergt4

I have a bunch of NOS SunTour cassette hubs and NOS 7 and 8 speed cassettes.

Well, if in your collection, some of the bikes you have use that stuff, then you should hold on to it. Once it's used up, it's used up!

That's why I'm leaning towards Shimano. Even after several decades, there's still new stuff available. Less and less though, so now's the time to stock-pile.

Besides, if a product doesn't move, the stores stop carrying it and then the manufacturers stop making it. There's a surprisingly lack of choice in the 26" knobby tire market. It's either super-fat size, or city-riding slicks. Panaracer still makes the famous Smoke/Dart in both blackwall and skinwall, but production comes and goes. There's a rolling 4 to 5 week backorder from the store I usually get them from right now. Only the Smokes were available at the beginning of the year (which I bought a pair for my San Andreas). I've got a Smoke/Dart combo already which I would've used on the SE1000, but it'll go for this now.

petergt4

One of the first parts arrived today. Period correct with a twist. Yes, it's a Selle Italia Turbo saddle as per spec, but is a new reissue example (date stamp 2016) finished with a technical woven fabric. I bought a Flite version for my San Andreas and just love it. Super comfortable and seems to be holding up very well. This will look great on the SE2000.
L1060410.JPG L1060411.JPG L1060412.JPG L1060414.JPG

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I wouldn't mind one of those for my otherwise original 1988 SR800. I have the original white Turbo but it's discolored and the cover is coming loose in places. Where are you getting your Panaracers? I see a UK seller on ebay has them, but I've never spent $71 for a bike tire.

petergt4

I wouldn't mind one of those for my otherwise original 1988 SR800. I have the original white Turbo but it's discolored and the cover is coming loose in places. Where are you getting your Panaracers? I see a UK seller on ebay has them, but I've never spent $71 for a bike tire.

PM sent...

petergt4

An update on this and now I have a groupset for this frame.

A full, NOS Shimano DX group, again, brand new in the box. Although DX would not have been equipped on a SE2000, it's still period correct and just as good a quality as Shimano XT. Classic thumb shifters and Biopace rings. Oh yeah...

L1060424.JPG L1060425.JPG L1060426.JPG L1060427.JPG