1988 Black Lightning Resto

Peat

Minor update for anyone interested:

I came across a bunch of items on eBay after my weekly ‘Cannondale Black Lightning’ search.

This seller must have been partially parting out the exact same model as mine as he had the same Diacompe levers along with the model specific Suntour Accushift EDGE 4050 derailleurs.

I’m under the impression that these items with this finish would have been made only for Cannondale and would be quite rare to come across.

However the main item that got me excited was the SR crankset which featured the black finish and gold ‘EDGE’ decal exactly as mine. Furthermore it had the original Sakae OvalTech chain rings (black finish and gold sticker) just as mine came with from the factory!

Earlier in this thread i mentioned how my original OvalTech rings unfortunately had some damaged teeth (worn down and shortened on a few teeth).

These damaged teeth caused the chain to skip when on the large ring and pedalling with some force (only when on the smallest freewheel sprocket though) and caused me to change out the OvalTech rings for some suitable looking replacements which I posted about above.

I thought I’d never find a set of black and gold OvalTech rings as they would have been a custom item for this BL.

But lo and behold here they are!
Also as a bonus this crankset is in much better cosmetic condition to mine.

I’ll get this on the bike asap and then it will be back to nearly 100% factory spec.
The only non original items (outside of tyres, bar tape, chain and cables etc) are the top tube cable guides and pedals now!

Attachments

• IMG_6125.jpeg
    IMG_6125.jpeg
    676.7 KB · Views: 11

IdahoBrett

Did you receive dog paw print stickers with your order? If so I know of the seller. He’s had a few Black Lightnings that were parted out. I bought a lot of parts from him. Great seller.