1987 Cannondale SM800, VintageCannondale.com story

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
I grew up in California, not too far away from Mt. Tamalpais and Specialized. Growing up, I always thought the Hard Rocks, RockHoppers and Stumpys were the bomb. I noticed Cannondale in the early 90’s. There were not many Cannondales in my area, and the internet was not a thing. My 1st purchase was in 1998, an all black Cannondale. It rode great, however; an XL was just too big.

My second purchase was in 1999, a pink Cannondale. The person I got it from said it was late 90’s. I thought it was weird with a 24” rear. I heard of these but didn't know much. I thought the bike was older, so I collected all the information I could. This was back when Cannondale was cool and they shared information. It took me about a year to learn that I had a 1987 Cannondale SM800. I took all of this info and shared it with everybody. This bike is what started VintageCannondale.com. The site was created in 2007 on my off hours working at a startup company. I loved this bike, although it was not perfect. I upgraded a few parts and rode it everywhere, even up and down Mt. Tam. I owned newer bikes, including a 2003 Jekyll, and a 2007 Prophet, but the SM800 was just special.

In 2013, people broke into my locked garage and stole about half of my bike collection, including the 87 SM800. I was devastated. About 6 months later, my father-in-law stopped a guy riding a bike that had a weird smaller rear rim. I came over, my heart dropped. It was MY ‘87 SM800, totally unrecognizable! He said he bought it for $10. I paid him $10 and retrieved the bike. Every part was swapped, the only thing that was original was my Brooks saddle. The bike, including the saddle, looked like it was used and abused for maybe 20 years. The photo below is what it looked like that day. I thought maybe someday I can restore it. It has been sitting as a frame since 2014.

sm800 old.JPG

A month ago, on Craigslist, a pink 1987 Cannondale popped up. I saw it and thought…OMG! I went to purchase it from a very cool guy. He just bought it from the original owner, but it was too small for him. So excited, I purchased it, brought it home.. and OMG!!

sm800 SF.JPG

This bike spent it’s whole life in San Francisco. Everything was original, including tires, chain, and saddle. It even seems that the grips and cables (Yellow) are original. It is an early ‘87 built in October 1986. It has a lot of parts from the SM900 (odd). I just cannot believe the condition. I have changed the cables back to white, and a new chain. I now have my 1987 SM800 back. The tires will be changed soon…

JohnnyD

Great story Brian! Thank you for getting this site up and running. Cannondale's have been my favorite brand of bike since the 1980's with Kline being #2. I couldn't afford a Cannondale until I was in the Air Force in 1992, when I bought the white M500 that was stolen and replaced with the M700 I still have to this day. While my collection of these bikes is small at just 3 right now. I will find a way to keep adding to it.

I rode a Bianchi Mondiale back in High School in Italy(I wish I still had that bike) that was given to me by our landlord after his son died in an auto accident.

Edit: Keep riding that amazing pink bike!!!!!!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I'm glad you found such a nice example of your first Cannondale. It gives me some hope of finding another one of my first, which was a 1989 SM800 that I bought new. That bike was stolen out of my truck in Champaign IL in 1995.

I know you're not much interested in road bikes but you really should be on the lookout for a 1987 SR600 in pink. I'm still gathering parts to recreate mine. I was lucky to find this nice frameset on another forum. I wish it was a 60 cm but I will make do with the 58.
1987 Cannondale R600 pink.jpg

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
I'm glad you found such a nice example of your first Cannondale. It gives me some hope of finding another one of my first, which was a 1989 SM800 that I bought new. That bike was stolen out of my truck in Champaign IL in 1995.

I know you're not much interested in road bikes but you really should be on the lookout for a 1987 SR600 in pink. I'm still gathering parts to recreate mine. I was lucky to find this nice frameset on another forum. I wish it was a 60 cm but I will make do with the 58.View attachment 7870

that looks in perfect shape. I will PM you, maybe I have parts for this build to at least get rolling. :)