1987 Cannondale SM500

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
I am almost done with this build, but thought I would share.

I purchased this frame only 1987 SM500, the paint is almost perfect. It was purchased in 2015 from the original owner. It included original brakes, crank, fork and seat post.

"I don't know if anybody can see, but the Cannondale decal is crooked." I like it. LOL

2.jpg

Later I found a trashed White Turbo saddle, "I think I can restore it." :)
4.JPG

in 2018 I purchased a 2nd (technically 3rd) SM500. I purchased this for $50.00 as well. I got this for the dérailleurs, stem, bars and shifters. I also snagged the fork, cranks and roller cams for another project and sold the frame.

3.JPG

5.jpg

Next I would a set of 1987 Araya rims, but they were 126mm rear. I need 130mm. I purchased a QR 130 axle and rebuilt the hubs, and slight dish of the rim.

6.jpg

I stripped the stem and bars. Stem painted white, and bars are painted with (Ford Engine Blue) It is 99% the exact. I really can not see a difference in color.

7.jpg

I have since replaced the BB and Headset from the original 1987 grease. I have some Dia-Comp 280 levers, and everything else is polished up ready to go. Waiting on white grips and housing. :)

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Nice buy at $100 total, frame looks pristine. I think of 1987 as the 24"/26" era but after checking the catalog I see that not all models were sold that way. I can see the drooping Cannondale decal. Did they manage to duplicate that on the other side? I have the same white Turbo that needs the cover glued back down. Nice match on the paint, doesn't look too far off from Team Blue. Is that a SunTour stem?

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
The parts are original except the rims. The only 26/24 in '87 was the SM800. Its full the non drive side decal is perfect. It was probably built on a Friday.

The saddle I have patched the rips and tears. I will try a leather repaint and see how it comes out. The surface is not perfect as the saddle for some reason was almost destroyed. I will see, Just needs a tune up and the saddle re-paint. And the original Suntour seat post clamp has the 2 inside parts missing. I will have to think of something.

51305966992_76968d3ab1_o.JPG

JohnnyD

I won
I am almost done with this build, but thought I would share.

I purchased this frame only 1987 SM500, the paint is almost perfect. It was purchased in 2015 for $50 from the original owner. It included original brakes, crank, fork and seat post.

"I don't know if anybody can see, but the Cannondale decal is crooked." I like it. LOL

I won't tell anyone it's crooked. So long as you remember to not tell anyone the decals on my Delta V are in the wrong positions

20220604_172819.jpg

Or that there is a thumb print in the clear coat of the Super V 2000 you gifted to me!

20220430_175852.jpg

They give them character IMHO.. plus the thumbprint is PROOF positive that the bike is MINE.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I recall a post by one of the best custom bike builders in the USA mentioning that decals at the place where he used to work were sometimes applied backwords (on the opposite side of the tube, reading the wrong way) due to what the staff was smoking.