1986 SR400

letsbike

So it's just a red Specialized Allez?
I watched the movie again last night:)))
But not in costume. Although that's an option.

Attachments

• 20240414_085127.jpg
    20240414_085127.jpg
    806.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240414-084418_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240414-084418_Gallery.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 7

IdahoBrett

A red Allez SE. The seller calls it an 85. But I think it's an 84. Serial number starts with "M" and for Miyata built frames that's an 84. From what I read the movie was filmed in 84. So it's kind of more correct. Most folks that I read posts from consider the 85 bike to be it since that's when the movie came out.

I watched it again a couple nights ago.

The decals have been removed from the downtube and forks. I don't believe the wheels are original. All the Suntour bits are there though.

letsbike

That's interesting. I never knew that those were Miyata frames. My son rides a 1988 Miyata 312.
There are so many technical gaffes in that movie. I noticed yesterday that in the final stage where they are racing over Trail Ridge Road, and all the bikers are dropping like flies from little oxygen, nobody thinks to shift from their large to small chainrings. But I guess "once you got it up you keep it up."

IdahoBrett

That's interesting. I never knew that those were Miyata frames. My son rides a 1988 Miyata 312.
There are so many technical gaffes in that movie. I noticed yesterday that in the final stage where they are racing over Trail Ridge Road, and all the bikers are dropping like flies from little oxygen, nobody thinks to shift from their large to small chainrings. But I guess "once you got it up you keep it up."
I don't know enough about bicycling/racing to catch those gaffes. How about shoulder rubbing? Is that a thing? No officials to see it happen, but would it?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I didn't know that Miyata built the Allez frames either. I have an 80s Miyata but don't remember the model. Also have a red steel lugged Allez but it's quite a bit newer. It seems to me that it was made by Giant.

IdahoBrett

I didn't know that Miyata built the Allez frames either. I have an 80s Miyata but don't remember the model. Also have a red steel lugged Allez but it's quite a bit newer. It seems to me that it was made by Giant.
The ones that are most desirable (by those with deeper pockets than I) are the ones by 3Rensho (master builder Yoshi Konno). Less than 100 built (I think).

My apologies for the thread slide away from Vintage Cannondale....

black lightning 1987

Staff member
The ones that are most desirable (by those with deeper pockets than I) are the ones by 3Rensho (master builder Yoshi Konno). Less than 100 built (I think).

My apologies for the thread slide away from Vintage Cannondale....
I think that the importer of 3Rensho was in Madison WI. I used to see them regularly when I went to the swap meets there. Very nice bikes. Haven't been to the swap in several years now but would like to go again. It's one of the biggest swap meets in the USA, I'd guess 2nd to Veloswap in Denver. It's been 20 years since I went to that one.

IdahoBrett

A friend is visiting his kids this week a 7 hour drive away. He’s transporting this for me and I’ll see it either tomorrow afternoon or the next day. He wouldn’t accept gas money. So I’ve offered my services to tune up his bikes as payment. Good thing I know a lot more than last summer.

I’ve tried to spy Cannondale’s in the film. No luck.

Attachments

• IMG_1244.jpeg
    IMG_1244.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

letsbike

Looks like a lugged steel Frame. I see no decals whatsoever. Has it been repainted? The picture is a bit fuzzy. Is there a head badge? Either way I hope that you enjoy riding it and you get a lot of pleasure from owning it.

I read a bit about how American Flyers mirrored the Coors Classic race in the fact that there was a year that the Russian national team was invited to race. They controlled most of the action, but were eventually thwarted by none other than Greg LeMond. I tried to find another article that I remember seeing recently about how the movie used actual film footage of the Coors Classic at the Colorado National Monument stage, but was unable to find it. I think that it was a bit too early to see Cannondales. The movie was filmed in 1984, and Cannondale's first bicycle (a touring bike) was released in 1983.

IdahoBrett

Looks like a lugged steel Frame. I see no decals whatsoever. Has it been repainted? The picture is a bit fuzzy. Is there a head badge? Either way I hope that you enjoy riding it and you get a lot of pleasure from owning it.

I read a bit about how American Flyers mirrored the Coors Classic race in the fact that there was a year that the Russian national team was invited to race. They controlled most of the action, but were eventually thwarted by none other than Greg LeMond. I tried to find another article that I remember seeing recently about how the movie used actual film footage of the Coors Classic at the Colorado National Monument stage, but was unable to find it. I think that it was a bit too early to see Cannondales. The movie was filmed in 1984, and Cannondale's first bicycle (a touring bike) was released in 1983.
The “S” decals are still on the head and seat tubes. The fork and downtube decals were removed at some point prior to the seller owning the bike.

Ahh yes it would’ve been too early for a Cannondale. As filming was done during the July 84 Coors Classic. I watched a couple videos of the CC (86&88). Connie Carpenter was one of the tv commentators for the 86 race. So there is the Cannondale connection (my attempt at staying relative for the site;) )

Attachments

• IMG_1287.jpeg
    IMG_1287.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1288.jpeg
    IMG_1288.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 7

letsbike

Well enjoy that bicycle. That is a classic frame geometry that I always thought was perfect for long country rides. You may have lit a fire under me to finally put my classic 70's bike back together because I miss that feeling. My big obstacle is replacing the original painted script on the frame with replacement decals without damaging the frame paint and then having the frame professionally clear coated. This process has paralyzed the project for decades.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240420-080813_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240420-080813_Gallery.jpg
    923.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240420-080738_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240420-080738_Gallery.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 4

IdahoBrett

Classic bikes are great @letsbike . Indeed you should make it roadworthy. Is the paint and decals presentable enough for a rider? There are pro bike painters out there.

As much as I enjoy tinkering on the classics, when I go for my version of a serious ride it’s on one of my newest Cannondale’s.