1986 SR400

IdahoBrett

Local craigslist ad. At least that is what I came up from the posted serial number (63121885156) and pictures. “Only” $135. It would fit me too.

Appears to have the original components. Last week I would’ve picked it up. This week not so much.

Attachments

• IMG_1238.jpeg
    IMG_1238.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1239.jpeg
    IMG_1239.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1240.jpeg
    IMG_1240.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 18

letsbike

That is the least expensive Cannondale for that year, but it has some interesting components including the hubs and fork. The initials of the welder on the frame is a little piece of company history that you won't see on a modern bicycle produced in a massive factory.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240404-202428_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240404-202428_Drive.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240404-202019_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240404-202019_Drive.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20240404-202333_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240404-202333_Drive.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20240404-202453_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240404-202453_Drive.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 11

IdahoBrett

After these many months of collecting, wrenching and riding I've come to enjoy many different Cannondale's. I sure would like to try this one out.

I had thought 60cm was my ultimate size. But I've since ridden some bikes that are bigger by a bit and do find them......different. The model year in of itself has a bit of a connection to my youth as well.

letsbike

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the overhauled bike on the Gallery page then;).
I like larger a frame because it brings the handlebars higher. Quill stems are great for easily adjusting height also.

IdahoBrett

Yes, yes, if someone else doesn’t buy it soon…..

I even forewarned my wife by showing her the pictures and telling her my vision. Which is some incorporation of my school colors since I graduated in 1986. The colors were red, white and blue. Our mascot was/is the Patriots. Red cables, blue bar tape? Seat color? What do you think @letsbike or anybody?

IdahoBrett

After perusing the bay @black lightning 1987 a blue saddle would be an expensive proposition if I stayed with the correct vintage. I’ve saved some to my watchlist that are early 2000’s that weren’t crazy expensive.

I really should resist the temptation. Unsettling times at the place I earn a living at arrived this week. My bike hobby and many other things could be vastly different in the near future.

letsbike

As Dirty Harry once said, "A man has to know his limitations."
Remember it's only a $135.00 bike.
I hope that your job remains secure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240405-211651_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240405-211651_Chrome.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240405-212142_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240405-212142_Chrome.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240405-230308_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240405-230308_Chrome.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

IdahoBrett

To extend my daydream here is what I found that appeals to my taste.

Attachments

• IMG_1250.jpeg
    IMG_1250.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1251.jpeg
    IMG_1251.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 5

IdahoBrett

Ok @black lightning 1987 I gave it 3 days. The ad is still up. I sent a message to the seller. The CL messages can and do quite often get lost. But if he responds I’ll just go have a look.

That seat you pictured is a perfect fit to “my vision”. You know that vision. The one that gets in your head because it’s a bike you don’t have and didn’t know you wanted prior to the ad. But now you do because you can imagine after a rehab and some personal touches it will be the perfect bike.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I try not to look at for sale ads very often. I already have way too many bikes. Also don't want to encourage you to buy something you don't need. But if that was near to me I'd be going to look at it.

IdahoBrett

No response from the seller. Not surprising. Over the years while connecting with sellers via CL messages to/from quite often end up in the spam folder. I sent another this morning. The price is too good to ignore the bike. Especially if it works as is. One more won’t matter.

Does anyone have a preference for cables? I haven’t tried jagwire yet. I’m not a fan of cable housings that are made with stranded wire reinforcement. At least not for the RD. One of my rehabs the housing end exploded the first time I actuated the derailleur. I didn’t use a ferrule. I didn’t have one that fit.

letsbike

I've tried quite a few cables over the years & haven't had anything jump out at me as the best of the best. As long as you keep the cable in the housing well greased, they all move the parts. I think my current rear derailleur cable was bought at a Walmart in Rawlins, Wyoming, while nursing the final three strands of cable along while on tour. (That was eight years ago, and I ride the bike everyday)
Sometimes you need to shave the outside portion of the cable housing off, leaving the metal portion, and inner sleeve, to be able to make the ferrule fit.

Last edited:

letsbike

No word from the seller on this bike yet?
BTW- I found this yesterday hidden in plain sight.

Attachments

• 20240413_072724.jpg
    20240413_072724.jpg
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 6

IdahoBrett

Not a word @letsbike . I looked last night and the ad was gone. Might have sold before I messaged? I usually get a “sorry it sold” reply.

Would’ve been a nice addition. It’s ok. My collecting has metastasized to some in steel (gasp). A friend is traveling today to visit his kids for a week. While he’s there he is doing me a huge favor and picking up an American Flyers movie bike for me…

letsbike

Not a word @letsbike . I looked last night and the ad was gone. Might have sold before I messaged? I usually get a “sorry it sold” reply.

Would’ve been a nice addition. It’s ok. My collecting has metastasized to some in steel (gasp). A friend is traveling today to visit his kids for a week. While he’s there he is doing me a huge favor and picking up an American Flyers movie bike for me…
Very nice. A true movie classic. We visited the site where the opening scene, in Saint Louis, was filmed a few years back. "You gotta be quick."(First line in the movie):D Unfortunately the McDonald's riverboat is gone.
Hopefully you're not buying the bike that went off the cliff.:confused:

Attachments

• 20240413_174955.jpg
    20240413_174955.jpg
    832.1 KB · Views: 7

IdahoBrett

Not an actual movie bike. That would be pretty neat. I saw an old post while searching for the one Costner rode on ebay. Back in ‘14. Probably sold for thousands. I wonder what happened to all the others. Lost to obscurity..