1985 ST400 on ebay

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I still have a blue one. I updated it with 7 speed bar end shifters and an early XT rear derailleur, tubular rims with knobby CX tires. Only thing I didn't care for were the original 45/50 chainrings. I think I swapped the 45 for a 38 or 39. It would have been a nicer touring bike with a triple, too bad Shimano didn't make a 600EX triple.

petergt4

I still have a blue one. I updated it with 7 speed bar end shifters and an early XT rear derailleur, tubular rims with knobby CX tires. Only thing I didn't care for were the original 45/50 chainrings. I think I swapped the 45 for a 38 or 39. It would have been a nicer touring bike with a triple, too bad Shimano didn't make a 600EX triple.

They did. I had only seen a couple posted on ebay during my searches last year when I was building up my ti road bike (looking for other items). Campy also had set-ups like this. I'm sure there was a purpose to this specific gearing range, but, admittedly, I don't really get it. Judging how it was only available for a few short years, I'm guessing it was a (passing) trend:

http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=f6e74fd2-417d-4154-a7c2-af9e1392a018&Enum=115

Although, it wouldn't stop installing aftermarket rings in a more conventional 10 tooth (or more) steps.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I'd never seen one, thanks for the link. I have a 1991 Shimano catalog and there were no road triples that year. Always assumed that applied to the previous era as well. Was aware of the Campagnolo triples, in fact bid on one recently.

Yes, pretty sure I put a 39 tooth middle ring on my bike. The 45/50 was for half step gearing. Kind of a holdover from the days of 4 speed freewheels, and required shifting both ends at once every other shift to get a logical progression. Besides that problem a 45/34 low gear isn't low enough for loaded touring. A 39/34 is marginal. Which makes me wonder why Cannondale didn't spec the triple. The ST500 came with a triple, which provided a much nicer 30/30 low gear.