‘96 F3000

So I bought this new back in 96, it made its way back to me after visiting my brother-in-law for several years. Sadly it lost the stock rear wheel while there, along with the bag containing every bit of original documentation.

I put the XTR V brakes on as well as the Paul’s love levers, and the Suntour XC Pro pedals.

I want to get a CODA 900 rear hub and 220 UB rim back on the rear, but I think I’ll keep the V-brakes and levers, while not factory correct, they are period correct, and done by me. There’s a 950 XTR cassette as well, can’t remember if that was stock or I added it?

Attachments

• 14892E1C-67D3-479E-900F-881A78AF4428.jpeg
    14892E1C-67D3-479E-900F-881A78AF4428.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 86
  • E1F88697-3E59-47A5-850D-932FFF44CAB3.jpeg
    E1F88697-3E59-47A5-850D-932FFF44CAB3.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 89

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I would keep the bike as is except for the rear wheel, the upgrades fit right in. I might change the pedals out for clipless just to avoid the straps rubbing on the crank arms. Those are probably the best platform pedals ever made. Nashbar had them on close out at some point for a ridiculously low price, and I stupidly only bought one pair. The 1996 catalog doesn't seem to give cassette models, they all just say Shimano IG, a designation that I don't even remember.

Back in the day I seem to recall running eggbeaters, still have the Sidi shoes somewhere in storage. I’d swap to the XC’s when I was going with groups of friends much less serious, and those stayed on for my Brother-in-law, thankfully he did not get rid of those. With a 5 and 10 year old as my riding partners right now, the Suntours will work out. I run Point One Racing Podium pedals on my Kona Wozo that I use for low speed kid rides, seems I like good pedals that disappear.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I've never heard of Point One. I've got several pairs of various Crank Bros. pedals but have never taken the time to change cleats for them on a pair of shoes. Pretty much sticking to Look Delta for road and SPD for MTB, just because both are easy to locate in quantity for little cost.

Not sure if they are still around, but at the time they were one of the better platform pedals. Link I tried a few different clipless, suppose much of that boils down to simple personal preference or availability, as you said. I think I have my Ti eggbeaters somewhere, hope so seeing what they cost now!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Did the Ti eggbeaters just have a Ti spindle or were the springs Ti as well? I have seen broken springs on eggbeaters, which seem to be their weak point.

It’s been so long I can’t be sure, but seem to recall springs were steel. Used them for many years without issue though. In fact that was before I knew how to ride, so bent a Gary Fisher frame and 2 crank sets with those pedals, so would not call them weak.