Wtb coda magic road BB bearing carriers

sjb

Hi, I need a pair of bearing carriers for the coda magic m900 cranks, the road versions are narrower than the mtb versions. I have a super pair of mtb carriers to trade....
Thanks.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
It looks like the only production road bike to use the Coda bottom bracket may have been the 1995 SR2000. The road version was designated 900R. There is a picture in the 1998 catalog of Ivan Gotti riding with a Coda crank in the 1997 Giro, but the 1998 Team Replica R4000 came with a DA crank and BB. The 1998 catalog shows the Coda 900 Road crankset and says it takes the Coda 900 BB2 bottom bracket. Not sure if that means that the BB2 is actually different than the 900R.

Reactions: sjb

sjb

Thanks for the links, I have them all saved already! there are in fact 3 sizes of BB bearing carriers, 68mm & 73mm for triple mtb and 68mm road, which is quite a bit narrower than even the 73 mtb as they have to take into account one less chainring I guess. The last pair are indeed the ones but crazy money! And no international shipping :(

I have however over the last day come to a rather ingenious (blowing my own trumpet here) solution. I have used a shimano external BB which is for the hollowgram 2 24mm axle, I have removed the inner shim on this new BB and there is a bearing inside with a 25mm ID. The OD of my coda 900 axle is 25mm :) A combination of shims between the new BB bearing carrier and the bikes BB shell will sort the chainline and dedicated bearing shims between the outer bearing face and inside of the coda arms to set pre load should all work. All for under approx £60/$50.
Cheers.

sjb

zsSYS6k.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
That R900 is a beauty. I never would have guessed that there was a shim in the Shimano bearings, but that's great to know in case I trip over a Coda road crank somewhere.

sjb

Thanks, I absolutely love it! Awaiting an American classic seatpost to arrive then it will be complete and I'll bore the internet with photos of it!
As for the Shimano BB, I purchased a SM-BBR60 (Ultegra) unit, the plastic spacer/shim pops out in seconds to leave the 25mm ID bearing face!

sjb

The wheels and hubs are de-stickered DT swiss and super light, the flat blade CX spokes make a wonderful whoosh as they cut through the air. It is my only 'neo retro mod' to the bike although I may add Dura ace 9100 spd pedals to replace the mid 90s look carbon pedals at half the weight.
I have a standard aluminium ACE post on the way, as per the 94 R2000..
Complete bike is just over 18lbs right now...

HTsg8Kh.jpg

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I thought it might be well under 20 lbs. I wouldn't hesitate to use the DA pedals, especially if you have them on other bikes. I have Look Delta pedals on most of my road bikes, mainly be cause they are easy to find and cheap. One drawback is certainly the weight. Some of the lower end ones with plastic bodies are maybe 100g lighter, but I don't think any approach the weight of modern pedals.

Yes, it's 27.2. I have an early black AC post on my '93 Beast of the East but the anodizing has faded to chocolate brown. It wouldn't look good on the Black Lightning. Let me know if you find a black 27.2. Not sure if it's practical to shim one in the 26 range.