What Tire Size for 1987 Criterium?

Scott Hansen

New guy with a help question. I just recommissioned a 1987 Criterium that my father purchased new. It is 100% original except for the handlebars and brake levers he had changed. I removed the old tires and tried a set of Roubaix Pro 700 X 25/28 that ended up being too large. The front tire rubs slightly on the top of the front fork. Before I make another purchase mistake, I thought I would ask the community what tire they would recommend for this bike? I would like to go larger than 23, but not sure if 25s will work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I would have said 28s off the top of my head, as I thought that I had run some on my 1987 SR600. Actual size of different brands do vary greatly though, and the rim width can affect the diameter of the tire once mounted and inflated. Was the clearance much tighter at the front compared to the rear? My guess is that most 25s and some 28s will clear. I have a bunch of options in that range that I can check, but they will be limited to the rims on which they are currently mounted. If your bike is original it probably has Wolber Alpine rims. I have a built front wheel here that I might be able to mount a 25 or 28 on and check clearance.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I checked the only two 28s that were handy, a Continent Ultra Gatorskin and a Continental Super Sport 100. Both are older German made models but both had plenty of clearance on the front. Caliper is the original Shimano 600 (6207) and both rims were within .5mm of the Wolber rim width. I have Michelin and IRC 28s at my shop but I know the Michelins are fatter than the Continentals - not sure about diameter.