Vintage 1997 Canondale F900 parts requested

arnieom

Sadly, my vintage bike was hit by a auto from my 'blind side'. I escaped any long term medical damage to my right knee hopefully. Rear Wheel is needing replacement. Bike is in shop. Insurance will cover. Want to set up my bike shop with contact to parts as close as I might to original F900 parts. Kindly advise. Grateful~Arnie

Attachments

• *Cannodale F900 1997.jpg
    *Cannodale F900 1997.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 95

rickpaulos

Accident damage. Have the frame checked for alignment before replacing parts. Aluminum isn't something you can straighten out. A bent aluminum frame would total the bike. Damage to a head shock fork is a total as well.

Next look up the catalog for that model year to get the oem specs. None of the oem parts are made any more so oem means ebay as the best source for specific model numbers on parts. Most name brand parts such as Shimano or Suntour have the model number on the back side. The parts companies redesign every component every few years with slightly changed model numbers.

bent rear wheel: I would just replace the rim and keep the existing hub/gears that you know work. But then I rebuild wheels. Many shops would rather sell you a new wheel that may not fit right.

arnieom

Accident damage. Have the frame checked for alignment before replacing parts. Aluminum isn't something you can straighten out. A bent aluminum frame would total the bike. Damage to a head shock fork is a total as well.

Next look up the catalog for that model year to get the oem specs. None of the oem parts are made any more so oem means ebay as the best source for specific model numbers on parts. Most name brand parts such as Shimano or Suntour have the model number on the back side. The parts companies redesign every component every few years with slightly changed model numbers.

bent rear wheel: I would just replace the rim and keep the existing hub/gears that you know work. But then I rebuild wheels. Many shops would rather sell you a new wheel that may not fit right.
Rick: Thank you for your concern. Grateful. How do I know if my frames is aluminum. I know F900 is hand made and hand welded is USA from what I understand. Arnie

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Glad you are OK. I think your bike may be a 1997 or 1998 as the 1999 F900 was a CAAD3 and yours is a CAAD2. Definitely aluminum. Is the photo after the collision? What all needs to be replaced?

rickpaulos

USA made Cannondales are aluminum. That's what made them famous. Not the first company to use aluminum but the first to go big. They used modern large scale manufacturing techniques like laser mitering. Frames were welded, then bolted to jigs for heat treatment to relieve the stresses in the metal caused by welding. They had 2 factories, the first in Connecticut and another in Pennsylvannia. They foolishly expanded in to stunt motor cycles with it's very small market potential and went bankrupt in 2003. Later bought by Pacific, the main supplier to walmart. Pacific gets all their bikes from Asia, including Cannondales. They still sponsor a Tour de France race team. Most recently Pacific was boughy by a Dutch conglomerate. since about 2009, the more expensive Cannondales have carbon fibre frames.

With aluminum, if it gets bent, any attempts to bend it back will usually snap it right off. There are a variety of aluminum alloys. the two most common alloys used in the bike industry are 6061 and 7001. There are also pre-heat treated aluminum alloys used in glued and screwed bike frames. Due to the manufacturing methods, none are repairable back to stock specs. The old joke on damaged Cannondales is to get your 5 cent deposit back. When I took welding courses, I learned a lot about the egos of some welders who claim they could weld anything. All of them are quite clueless about how bike frames are made. Any welded back together frame should not be trusted and won't hold for very long. It would need to be heat treated again which surely won't happen. Our local bike coop has a pretty strict policy of scraping out any damaged or re-welded frames due to liability concerns. Most regular bike shops won't touch damaged frames. I've consulted with highly skilled custom frame builders about repairing a variety of frames and the estimates every time have been more than buying a whole new bike.

The older Cannondale aluminum frames are actually quite sturdy and durable. From the photo above I don't see any obvious damage.

arnieom

Glad you are OK. I think your bike may be a 1997 or 1998 as the 1999 F900 was a CAAD3 and yours is a CAAD2. Definitely aluminum. Is the photo after the collision? What all needs to be replaced?
Photo is after collision. I am waiting on shop to advise me on what needs to be replaced. Here are some more pics of bike AFTER collision. Thank you for your sharing knowledge. Grateful~A
*Cannodale F900 1997.jpg
Cannoondale 5.jpg
Cannondale 4.jpg
Cannondale 3 of 3.jpg
CannondaleF900 1 of 3.jpg
Cannondale F900 1 of 2.jpg
rnie

arnieom

USA made Cannondales are aluminum. That's what made them famous. Not the first company to use aluminum but the first to go big. They used modern large scale manufacturing techniques like laser mitering. Frames were welded, then bolted to jigs for heat treatment to relieve the stresses in the metal caused by welding. They had 2 factories, the first in Connecticut and another in Pennsylvannia. They foolishly expanded in to stunt motor cycles with it's very small market potential and went bankrupt in 2003. Later bought by Pacific, the main supplier to walmart. Pacific gets all their bikes from Asia, including Cannondales. They still sponsor a Tour de France race team. Most recently Pacific was boughy by a Dutch conglomerate. since about 2009, the more expensive Cannondales have carbon fibre frames.

With aluminum, if it gets bent, any attempts to bend it back will usually snap it right off. There are a variety of aluminum alloys. the two most common alloys used in the bike industry are 6061 and 7001. There are also pre-heat treated aluminum alloys used in glued and screwed bike frames. Due to the manufacturing methods, none are repairable back to stock specs. The old joke on damaged Cannondales is to get your 5 cent deposit back. When I took welding courses, I learned a lot about the egos of some welders who claim they could weld anything. All of them are quite clueless about how bike frames are made. Any welded back together frame should not be trusted and won't hold for very long. It would need to be heat treated again which surely won't happen. Our local bike coop has a pretty strict policy of scraping out any damaged or re-welded frames due to liability concerns. Most regular bike shops won't touch damaged frames. I've consulted with highly skilled custom frame builders about repairing a variety of frames and the estimates every time have been more than buying a whole new bike.

The older Cannondale aluminum frames are actually quite sturdy and durable. From the photo above I don't see any obvious damage.
I lucked out. Local shop found OEM: https://www.amazon.com/SunRingle-CR-18-Black-Silver-Advanced/dp/B001CK0M28
I lucked out! Found OEM part rear wheel. My local shop gave me link: https://www.amazon.com/SunRingle-CR-18-Black-Silver-Advanced/dp/B001CK0M28